We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Grand Canyon in the end of December. We will be staying in Sedona and planning on making a day trip to visit GC. I am pregnant and will be travelling with my husband, and 2 children ages 2 and 5. Can anyone recommend an easy hiking trail that we can do as a family? Will it be slippery in December to hike/walk the trail? At the moment we are planning to drive from Sedona to GC on our own, I undertand that this will take around 2 hours, with the shorter day light in December, what will be the best time to be at the park so we can enjoy the best view/weather? Besides walking an easy trail, can you suggest another must do activity for us?Eg, helicopter ride etc? Thank you so much, I look forward to any advise and recommendations.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

Asking anonymous posters on a travel forum is probably not the best place to start to assess your capabilities during your pregnancy. You should start with your doctor and have him determine how far you can walk/hike/climb, as well as degree of incline and decline. In addition, you should also factor in how quickly you can move and grab should one of the youngster decide to bolt off the trail in pursuit of a little furry creature. These are just a few factors you should consider. I am certain others will be able to think of others before you take this on.

Edited: 26 October 2013, 19:30
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,635 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

It isn't necessary to hike at GCNP in order to view and appreciate the canyon. In December you can drive to all the overlooks. There are short walks from parking to the rim. Snow is unpredictable. If it hasn't been snowing, the roads will be clear.

The main thing is that it will be cold. 50 would be a nice high at that time of year, but daytimes are more likely to be in the upper 40s. Night-times and early mornings will be well below freezing.

The best time to be in the park would be from about 10AM to 3 PM. Split your time into 3 blocks: central GC Village, west road to Hermit's Rest, and save the east area to Desert View for your exit. Enter through the south entrance and exit through the east entrance.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

In all likelihood your day at the GCNP will involve getting from your car to a variety of rim view points. This should be a simple matter, even for someone who is pregnant. You won't be hiking below the rim and you won't be hiking steep or dangerous terrain. At least it is not a requirement that you do so to enjoy the canyon.

Do expect cold winter weather. Dress appropriately with hats, scarves coats and gloves.

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

Thank you all for your tips. It helps knowing that there are viewpoints accessible by car. On further research I've come across Desert View Drive, and have been able to read travelers' reviews and forum entries on this. Just wondering what will be the differences between entering from the south versus the East entrance? A number of travelers suggested that the East Entrance may be less crowded. Are 2-3 hours with rest/snack sufficient for unhurried stops at 3- 4 viewpoints? I also appreciate the advise on dressing warmly, we will go prepared.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

If you're doing a day trip and spending just a few hours inside the park, coming from Sedona, I prefer the east gate at Desert View. The crowds will be smaller and you'll travel against the heavier flow of traffic coming from the main entrance and GCV. Also, you have to make any left hand turns into the view points and parking areas.

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

Thank you RedRox. We will plan accordingly.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

You will have plenty of options to walk along the rim at GC.

Plan to do some hiking in Sedona. Many trails are easy with wonderful views.

8. Re: Grand Canyon Trail trail for Pregnant mom and young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:21