We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon Railway

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon Railway

Has anyone taken this train ride? At the end of January, My Husband and I will be in Las Vegas for a conference, and we would like to spend an extra day or two at the Canyon. I am toying with the idea of just driving to the Canyon ourselves, and staying in the park. The other option would be to drive to Williams and take the train. I have read the description on the Railway website, and it seems that some of the little shows could be a little on the corny side. However, if the view from the train is spectacular, then maybe it's worth it anyway.

Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon Railway

Unless you are a train buff, you should consider just driving. You will arrive at the canyon much faster.

You don't see the canyon when you take the train as its a ride across the high desert/forest. You see the canyon when you exit the train and walk over to the rim.

Make reservations in the park.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Edited: 28 October 2013, 18:24
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon Railway

Yep, agreeing. The view from the train is NOT spectacular, and it takes much longer to get to the GC than if you simply drove yourself. And yes, do stay one night inside the GCNP.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,783 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon Railway

The train is an expensive and time consuming way to get to and from the GCNP. Good for train buffs, otherwise a big waste IMO.

Drive to the park and stay there on your own. You'll be glad to have your own car there, especially in January as park buses and shuttles are reduced significantly.

4. Re: Grand Canyon Railway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 04:18