We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

Level Contributor
642 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

I am planning for a trip Sept 2014. I have not booked the Vegas part of the trip but I have booked my nights at the G Canyon. Originally I had planned to visit Vegas, G Canyon, then Zion NP and Bryce Canyon. Now I am reconsidering the Zion & Bryce loop. What if I instead headed south to Sedona. What are some of the must see things in Sedona? Would it be a good option to the Zion & Bryce trip? We are 2 retired seniors. Would Sedona be a good change of pace from the G Canyon?

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

Sedona, GC and Northern Arizona makes a great trip. Sedona is a great compliment to an Arizona and S. Utah visit. How much time do you have for this visit and how much driving are you interested in? You could still travel on to Zion and Bryce, given the proper amount of time.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Utah
Utah
United States
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,731 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

I'll wait to comment until the OP states the number of days available for their full trip plan.

Level Contributor
642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

Right now trip looks like 2-3 days Vegas...

2 nights G Canyon....

2 nights either Zion/Bryce or Sedona...

then 2 nights back in Vegas....

Probably arrive on Sunday? Leave on Mon/Tuesday

Some of this has to do with Southwest flights to & from Albany (NY).

Some days are cheaper than others, plus more flights that are non stop.

I would prefer non stop and there are only a few from ALB...

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,731 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

If you go north, you'll need to do one night Zion, one at Bryce and ideally one more at Page before Grand Canyon National Park. One night could be sufficient for the GC. In fact, given your desire to see so much in so little time, I expect it would be fine that way.

If you choose Sedona, you could do one or two nights at GC and two or three for Sedona. Yes, Sedona has that much to see and do.

https://vimeo.com/57884666

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

Sedona will provide a more relaxed visit and the Zion/Bryce option involves slightly more travel. I'd spend less time in Vegas, especially if choosing Zion and Bryce.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

After a 'difficult' experience at Crater Lake I have learned my wife does not appreciate heights and drop offs. I was thinking Sedona might be closer, different, and enjoyable for both of us. Then return to Vegas... maybe visit Red Rock Canyon (?) which I believe is close. Or I suppose I could still do an overnight to Zion from Vegas. Just not sure what would be efficient use of our time. Overall trip I see as 9, 10, up to 12 days including early flights to and late flights leaving Vegas. I'm also afraid we might suffer from a bit of desert & red rock overload if everything is similar. As for Vegas... it will be our first visit, so I think we can use the extra time. Never thought I would want to see Vegas but I am growing more curious! Earlier this Fall we did London & Paris for the first time as well. Guess the retiree travel bug has bitten us...

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Paris Las Vegas
Paris Las Vegas
26,995 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,731 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

The parks on your list are all unique and deserving of your time. Most of us here, me included, would gladly trade time at LV for time at any of the parks instead. I find nothing relaxing at LV. You'll understand once you arrive.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

If you are going to visit a park near LV, choose Valley of Fire over Red Rock Canyon. Both parks near LV are much less impressive than Zion, Bryce or Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

If you have 12 days you could make a loop including all the parks mentioned and Sedona, but you might feel somewhat rushed about.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
10. Re: Las Vegas... G Canyon.... Sedona ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...