We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Tovar vs Yavapai

chicago
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Topic
El Tovar vs Yavapai

I'm able to get a reservation at both El Tovar and Yavapai for our spring break trip. Only planning to stay one night in Grand Canyon. Is El Tovar worth the extra money ($300 vs $150)? I like clean and updated It's my husband and I plus 3 small kids. Thanks for suggestions!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Tovar vs Yavapai

I always choose El Tovar. It will be undergoing a renovation this winter though, so there might be construction during your spring break vacation.

The important thing is to stay inside the park. All rooms at the park are clean and relatively updated.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Tovar vs Yavapai

It's hard to judge whether it's "worth it" for you, but here are some pro's/con's/comparisons:

- Parking is easier at Yavapai. At Yavapai West, you'll be able to park right outside your door. Yavapai East may be a few more steps but there are parking lots next to each building. The parking lot closest to El Tovar is a popular one and may require more patience.

- Yavapai East rooms have been very recently updated and they're nicely appointed. While El Tovar is furnished like a nice B&B, Yavapai East is like a Marriott Courtyard. Yavapai West is a little more spartan but it's been updated as well. All of the lodges are clean and comfortable.

- El Tovar puts you steps from the rim; Yavapai will require a short walk.

- El Tovar has a lot of charm but that also means that room sizes are inconsistent. I assume you're planning to get on of the 'deluxe 2-queen' rooms but don't expect a palatial room -- the higher price isn't for the room size...

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Tovar vs Yavapai

El Tovar is a beautiful, historic building (we saw it before renovation started), but rooms looked basic. We stayed at the nearby Kachina Lodge, also on the rim.Thunderbird and Bright Angel lodges also on the rim. I'd check directly with the El Tovar to see if construction work will still be going on. Didn't see Yavapi. Sounds nice.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 13:02
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Tovar vs Yavapai

That price sounds like Yavapai West. While these rooms can accommodate five, they warn you in the website that it will be crowded with a rollaway in there ("limited maneuverability" is how they say it). El Tovar Deluxe 2Queen rooms will also accommodate a rollaway, but they vary in size you you cannot be sure what you will get. Yavapai East would probably give you the most space, if a room there is available.

chicago
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: El Tovar vs Yavapai

thanks for your help. our fifth person is a tiny five year old who usually smooshes herself in one of the queens so not worried about a roll away for one night! so i think i'll stay with the West room. thanks all!

6. Re: El Tovar vs Yavapai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 05:19