We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

We plan to fly into Phoenix and then drive to our hotel in the Grand Canyon Village. Does anyone have any thoughts on good places to stop along the way? We would be interested in anything from museums to natural sites to hikes etc. We are up for anything!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,495 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

The drive from Sky Harbor to Grand Canyon National Park will take 4 hours. What time are you arriving at the airport? Allow an extra hour to pick up luggage and get your rental vehicle. If you're flying in from the east coast your body clock will be off by 2-3 hours. When is this trip?

Sedona is a good halfway point and worthy of several days. What else are you planning for this vacation?

https://vimeo.com/57884666

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Arriving Phoenix and drive straight to GC so I guess you already have made a reservation for GC that night, so as RedRox already said, time of arrival is important. Right on the way is Montezuma Castle off I17.

Scotia, New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Driving north on route 17 outside Phoenix, there are several national monuments. If possible you might want to stop around Sedona. Red rocks are beautiful and a prime photo op. Oak Creek Canyon is a scenic route north to Flagstaff. Drive safely since you will be having some jet lag!

Seattle
Level Contributor
321 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Sedona is a nice unique place to visit, along with Montezuma's Castle, Meteor Crater, and the city of Flagstaff. On the way back, you might check out the town of Prescott also. Have Fun!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your quick responses!

We are staying at the Yavapai Lodge in Grand Canyon Village for 3 nights and then we are staying at Inn On Oak Creek in Sedona for 2 nights (so we won't stop in Sedona on the way to the Grand Canyon).

We haven't booked our flight yet. We are coming from Boston. Initially we were going to book our flight to Flagstaff but we know we'll have at least an hour layover before we get to Flagstaff so we figured instead of sitting in an airport why not do a direct flight to Phoenix and spend our what would be layover time driving to the Canyon and exploring..? We would take the earliest flight possible from Boston... at 5 or 6 in the morning so our flight would get into Phoenix around 9:30.

Any more thoughts?!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Maybe consider to stay 2 nights at GCNP and 3 nights in Sedona. You can see a lot with 2 nights Grand Canyon and 3 nights Sedona won't be too long. Staying Yavapai bring a flash light.... It very dark out there.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,495 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Agreeing.

You've made the right decision about driving from PHX rather than Flying to Flag. I would also advise dropping a night at the GC and adding it to Sedona. No one is ever fully prepared for what they'll find at these two places, but most agree, Sedona needs and deserves more time given your overall window.

I'm not shorting the Grand Canyon. You could spend weeks there, but that would be a different trip and in different places that you'll visit on your first venture into the park. Sedona is easier to navigate, but requires more time.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Thanks for all your tips everyone! Really appreciate it!

Boston...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Hi Waltham I am from Lynnfield planning similar trip. Did you want to include Montezuma's Castle and Well outside of camp Verde between Phoenix and Sedona? Outside Flag there's Wupatki among other sites that might enrich your trip or so it seems from my research. Heading ther myself late April. Local experts please correct me if I am wrong!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon; sites to see?!

Yes, Wupatki is a good place for a visit and so are Sunset Crater Volcano and Walnut Canyon NMs in tha area. And Cameron Trading post is at the junction of 64 and u89.