We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to the Grand Canyon

Sacramento, Kentucky
6 posts
Save Topic
First time to the Grand Canyon

Planning a trip to the Grand Canyon for the first time for six adults. I want to include the Hoover Dam along the way. I thought about flying into Las Vegas for one night renting a car and start our journey from there. We will have 6-7 days. I was told that Sedona was a nice place to stay and that taking the train from Williams was a neat way to get to the Canyon. Can anyone help me with suggestions

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to the Grand Canyon

Drive to the Grand Canyon National Park and plan to stay 2 nights there, then give the rest of the time to Sedona. Skip the train. It's a waste of time and money and it severely limits your mobility at the park. Book your GC reservations now. www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Read the Top Questions on the right side of this page.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to the Grand Canyon

If you are a train buff, or enjoy the "train robberies" of old, you will enjoy the train. If you enjoy just rolling and/or rattling along in a train, you will enjoy the train. Once at the park you will either need to walk or take the shuttle to get to your destinations along the rim.

If you visit during the summer months the shuttle is full oftentimes and you have to wait for the next shuttle or the next or the next...The Grand Canyon Village is walkable and many people do walk, rather than hunt for a parking space.

I would suggest that you consider how long you want to stay at the canyon, what you want to do and also look at the Grand Canyon Village map and the shuttle routes. If you just plan to see a few sights and hang out then I would take the train. If you have a longer trip in mind and/or more sights to see or trails to hike or whatever, then you will need your car.

Sacramento, Kentucky
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to the Grand Canyon

Thanks ! Any suggestions on where to in Sedona. I have 6 adults

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to the Grand Canyon

www.visitsedona.com

https://vimeo.com/57884666

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to the Grand Canyon

It also depends on how long you want to stay at places. With 6-7 days people also can include a visit to Page www.visitpageaz.com

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
830 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to the Grand Canyon

Including Page makes sense, you're so close when you're at the GC. And I would definitely cit out the train ride. You don;t see the Canyon from it, it runs more or less parallel to the highway into the NP, but taking your car is much cheaper and leaves you in dependent.

7. Re: First time to the Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17