We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

Hi folks,

We are planning a trip late march/ April to Las Vegas, Grand caynon, bryce and Zion and we need some more tipps for that. We have planned kany stops and not too long drives because of our 4 year old son.

We have planned so far (7-9 days)

1. LV arrive, stay 1 night

2. take rental car, go to either Flaggschiff or Sedona (what's better?) to stay for the night there (GC lodge too expensive and almost booked out)

3. drive early to grand canyon, visit Grand Canyon

4. drive to Page (any tipps for Page, what's great there?)

5. Bryce Canyon, visit Bryce Canyon

6. Zion Canyon

7. go back to Las Vegas

We haven't planned yet on how long to stay at each destination. We can't do much hiking because of our son. Love to see the best points, though.

Thank you for any help!!

Tina

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

Flagstaff and Sedona are both detours if your destination is the Grand Canyon National Park. Sedona is worthy of a few days itself. But if it's your budget that drives this decision, Williams is on the way without adding detours or delays and lodging there will be cheaper. The better choice if the GCNP is really full, would be Tusayan, just outside the park entrance. However, I'd advise you to keep calling Xanterra in the hopes that something affordable will open up. What exactly is your budget limit?

At Page, visit Antelope Canyon and view the Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell.

Your trip plan is rather rushed, and not what I'd advise in general. Zion needs a couple of nights, as would Sedona. GC, Page and Bryce can be one night stops.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

www.visitsedona.com www.visitpageaz.com Not all lodges are expenive inside the NP. Keep calling for cancellations 888 297 2757

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

Hi Tina, I would re-think day 2. At the South Rim (GCNP), there are two lodges with rooms priced below $100 that would accommodate all three of you, Maswik South and Bright Angel Lodge rooms. Maswik South has 2 queens, BA Lodge has a few rooms with a double and a single. There are very few of those BA Lodge rooms and they're spartan (no TV) but the location is fantastic and perfectly fine for one night. (It's where I like to stay.) Even if their website shows no availability, I would call them to specifically ask for those rooms (or just tell them you need something inexpensive; they're usually very helpful on the phone.) Phone number is 888-297-2757.

As a backup, I second RedRox's suggestion to find a place in Tusayan or, barring that, Williams. Both are better situated than Flagstaff. Sedona only makes sense, imo, if you're going to give it more time.

You say you have 7-9 days but what I'm seeing in this itinerary is really only 5.5 days. Makes a big difference, imo. With only 5-6 days, I would stick to one "side" of the Canyon, like South Rim + Sedona OR Zion + Bryce + Page. If you have 8-9 days, the whole "grand circle" becomes more reasonably paced. With 7 days, I say it's a matter of personal travel style.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 11:43
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

At Page, look for Horseshoe Bend, the Glen Canyon Dam Overlook, and the Wahweap overlook. Lower and Upper Antelope canyon tours are the most well known attraction.

At Bryce, stay at one of the three Ruby's properties in Bryce Canyon City www.brycecanyoncountry.com There is a couple of writeups in the Bryce forum detailing trips to this area.

Take a couple of nights for Zion. Stay in Springdale www.zionpark.com At the beginning of April, the mandatory park shuttle starts running again for the season. Riverside Walk, Parus Trail, and Lower Emerald are short easy trails that you can look for.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

Thank you very much all, great tipps!!! We haven't decided on how long to stay at each destination, so great tipps to stay longer at Zion and maybe cancel Sedona and do other stays, i appreciate it!!! Thanks!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

Actually, would it make more sense to go the other way around, from Las Vegas first to Zion and then Bryce etc? Maybe it doesn't matter at all but i just read an old post where they did the other way around and to me it made more sense because the 1st day ride would be shorter...?? And we would stay longer at Zion than at grand canyon so for the first half of trip nicer?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

Direction doesn't really matter. Often it's determined by availability of lodging, especially at the Grand Canyon

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

WOW factor will be greatest if you do GC first imo and maybe longest drives first. Not that it really matters that much.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

As said, lodging can often dictate the order of how you tackle the parks. Personally in my opinion I would keep Zion at the tail of the trip, as I like my dessert at the end of my meal :)

10. Re: Tipps for tour Las Vegas- GC-Bryce-Zion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:22