We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan 6 months ahead? Maybe a year instead?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
236 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Plan 6 months ahead? Maybe a year instead?

How been looking at a three night stay within the South Rim Park starting in January. Checking all in-park accommodations within the park, on their official reservation site to date I have only been able to find one three day block in 2014 in October. Is what was the recommendation of planning 6 months ahead too short and instead one year is now becoming the norm or am I missing something. Does not appear the economy is hurting so much when I see something like this; which I guess is good. Thanks.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,559 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan 6 months ahead? Maybe a year instead?

I was surprised to hear this and just did some quick searches at www.grandcanyonlodges.com. I'm seeing a lot of 3-day options in October, even at El Tovar, which is normally the lodge that gets sold out first. There are a few days in the first half of October where the only availability is at Yavapai, but I actually couldn't find any 3 days where nothing was available. The second half of October appears to be wide open, in fact. Do you have any special criteria that may be limiting your choices (like trying to accommodate more than 4 people in a room)?

If you're having difficulties with their website, try calling Xanterra directly. Their phone personnel are extremely helpful and I'm sure they'll be able to help you make the reservation you want. Their phone number is (888) 297-2757.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
236 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan 6 months ahead? Maybe a year instead?

Thanks--I believe I will give them a call. Seems I am having some trouble with the site.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,218 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan 6 months ahead? Maybe a year instead?

Yes, DTF, I see the same availability in response to another post by the OP.

nnB: Yes, to have the most choice at GCNP in the park, planning a year ahead is wise. Reservations are taken a year in advance. They can be cancelled with no penalty (one night deposit is collected when making the reservation and promptly refunded if cancelled more than 48 hours before the reservation), and changed at any time. Like DTF, I see lots of availability. As my other note, be sure you are on their website, and call for help if necessary as DTF says.

I normally plan at least months in advance. But even on short notice I have found rooms.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,825 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan 6 months ahead? Maybe a year instead?

Reservations open on the 1st day of each month, for that month in the following year, so 13 months out is the limit and the norm. Phantom Ranch, for example, sells out in less than 2 hours on the first of the month, a full year in advance.

Just out of curiosity, what do you see yourselves doing with 3 nights and 4 days at the park?

5. Re: Plan 6 months ahead? Maybe a year instead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 07:18