We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

My husband will be golfing and I would like to hike the canyon. I've been there a few times and have only hiked what I think was the Bright Angle trail halfway down.

Any suggestions of which trial for a moderate 5-7 hour hike? Which your guide?

Thank you for any ideas!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
806 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

I don't know what you mean by half-way down, but a nice hike is down Bright Angel as far as Indian Garden and then back - and since you've been down there part of the way, you know what to expect in terms of trail, steepness on way back and all tat. Another gorgeous hike would be taking the shuttle bus to the trailhead for South Kaibab and hike down as far as Cedar Ridge. That's a 6-mile round trip and take ab average of 4-6 hours. It's steeper t the top, but much more scenic than Bright Angel, as it's partly on a ridge jutting into the canyon rather than in a side canyon like Bright Angel.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

If you've hiked part of Bright Angel, then you'll have hiked the most "moderate" trail into the Canyon from the South Rim.

Esty's South Kaibab suggestion is a good one. My favorite dayhike is Grandview Trail to Horseshoe Mesa.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,110 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

For guided hikes check these links. I have only hiked with companions, so have no personal experience with any of these:

nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/guided-hikes.htm

https:/…grand-canyon-field-institute

wildlandtrekking.com/grand_canyon_tours.htm

http://www.grandcanyonhikes.com/

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

I missed the "guided" part in your subject line. You don't say when this trip is but the park rangers do a guided hike on South Kaibab trail to Cedar Ridge certain times of the year.

nps.gov/grca/…2014SRprograms-spring.pdf

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

Agreeing that SK is a good option and ranger lead hikes happen there. I wouldn't fear hiking solo though. You won't be alone, and you won't be in danger. You just need to be in shape and carry basic needs like water, snacks and a few first aid supplies.

Will you be staying at the GC or commuting from somewhere? Where is your husband playing golf?

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

I was at Cedar Ridge when the ranger came down with her guided hike; it sounded excellent, but I hadn't joined it because I was going farther (to Skeleton Point, which is a good turn-around for a half-day hike).

Horseshoe Mesa on the Grandview Trail (DTF's suggestion) is also a great day hike.

Other options are Dripping Springs or Santa Maria Springs (Hermit Trail at Hermit's Rest is the trailhead for both of these. I've done all 4 of these day hikes as a solo female; all are good (you can read about them on line or in "The Best Easy Day Hikes at the Grand Canyon" to see what might appeal to you most. You'll see other hikers on all these trails, with the Dripping Springs trail probably being the least congested. No need for a commercial guide for any of these, but a NPS guide would be nice (this would limit you to the S. Kaibab for a below-the-rim hike).

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Yes, we plan on staying at the canyon or very near. Maybe I won't need a guide, as you're right, last time we hiked it we were in a line of people.

We are planning either August or September. Last visit was in October years ago and it was very cold at the top!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

Curious again,since you'll be staying at or near the GCNP. Where is your husband planning to play golf? At least one of you will have a long commute.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Yes, we plan on staying at the canyon or very near. Maybe I won't need a guide, as you're right, last time we hiked it we were in a line of people.

We are planning either August or September. Last visit was in October years ago and it was very cold at the top!

Edited: 17 February 2014, 13:37
Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guided Grand Canyon Hike for solo female

Not sure where he will be playing. I have to research that too.