We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

We have the opportunity to visit Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, Page, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon South Rim in mid-April or over Memorial Day weekend in May. Ideally April would work better for our work schedules and our budget but we are worried about the weather that time of year, mainly it being too cold or there being snow. We are from a snowy Midwest and would rather vacation somewhere where the likelyhood of encountering snow is minimal. What would everyone suggest between these two sets of dates as being a better option? We are particually concerned about snow at the Grand Canyon and Bryce. This is probably the only time we'll be able to visit these areas and would prefer the best weather possible (which I know is extremely unpredictable any time of year :) Thank you all for your time!!!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,258 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,126 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

I lived at Grand Canyon South Rim for 7 years and saw it snow on Memorial Day for 4 out of those years. So postponing your trip till then in no way guarantees nice weather. If April works better with your work schedule, I'd say go for it. Most days are sunny, with temperatures in the mid-60's to low 70's range. Nights will be cool, so bring at least a light jacket.

Whatever you decide, be sure to make your lodging reservations well in advance, especially if you prefer to stay inside the park. Visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com for Grand Canyon Park Village, or if you can't find lodging there, Tusayan/Grand Canyon Village South just outside the park is your next best option. http://grandcanyon.com/hotels.html

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,258 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

Thank you for your response! When it snows in April or May does it stick around all day or usually melt off by mid-day?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

You also may want to think about crowds on the holiday weekend? K-Bot mentioned that you need reservations... Largely because the thousands of us that live in the valley run up north on memorial weekend to get out of the heat that is already starting to bake us...

Personally, if April is more convenient, I'd probably go then. The crowds can really kill the GC for me.

Let's talk about snow in Arizona... I went hiking in Sedona for Valentine's Day. It was stinking hot when I was hiking. I wore a tank top and got a little tan. Driving along near Slide Rock state park there were kids playing in the water on the left side of the road and then kids playing in the snow on the right side of the road.

Don't let our weather impact your plans.... It's always beautiful in Arizona

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

Either time will be difficult for reservations in park lodges. I would make it a priority to decide dates and book lodging.

grandcanyonlodges.com

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,688 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

Actually, lodging availability could determine your travel dates. Check to see what is available and don't be surprised to find most places fully booked or sold out for April and end of May already

6. Re: What Time Would You Visit???? Please Help With Advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:28