We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

Indiana
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

Hello everyone!

The gf and I will be going to vegas March 23-March 28th. What she doesnt know is I will be asking her to marry me on this trip. My plan is for a whirlwind surprise drive to the Grand Canyon for a sunrise breakfast and to pop the question. The plan is to leave Vegas somewhere around 12:30am on Sunday and get to a vantage point just in time for the Sunrise. Im looking for some expert advice on how to make this the most direct and least painful drive possible. What Id like to achieve:

1: Get to a great and maybe even less traveled vantage point for sunrise

2: Not to have to hike or go on any strenuous trails (some walking would be ok but we arent athletes at all)

3: Be able to punch a location into the GPS and blindly follow it to the general area like a lemming

I want to make this a story she will love to tell over and over again. Im sure this stuff is posted all the time and im sorry to bug you with it but any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks all

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

Do it right. Spend a night at the Grand Canyon National Park in one of the lodges there. Leave LV in the afternoon if you can't bear to part with LV sooner. Then wake up refreshed for sunrise and do the deed. Walk along the rim path between Verkamps and Yavapai Point. Step off the trail and sit by a tree or a rock. Doing this after a five hour drive in darkness is a fool's plan IMO.

Call Xanterra to book a GC room. 888-297-2757

Don't rely on your GPS at the GC. It can get you in a lot of trouble direction wise.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

Agree with RedRox. If I were the girlfriend, I'm not sure how I would feel after being forced to sit 5 long hours through the middle of the night.

>> Be able to punch a location into the GPS and blindly follow it to the general area like a lemming

This you definitely don't want to do. Some GPS's have been known to take people down backcountry "shortcuts". Directions are easy, so if you're going to use a GPS, be sure to verify the route it's going to take you.

Indiana
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

haha, I should have clarified in the first post. This is our sort of our thing. Sitting around and then just saying HEY LETS GO HERE and taking for for a crazy destination with not much time. Trust me she will go nuts =)

Indiana
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

Good to know about GPS too, will it at least safely get me to the south rim entrance ?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS (well, assuming she says YES!).

OK, I was going to also suggest the overnight at GC..in fact, I still will suggest that, but I now have a better understanding of how you two like to do things. Just be careful on the roads, particularly the closer you get to the park and inside the park. There are critters on the roads at night and early in the morning. Some of these are BIG critters. Meeting an elk on the road would ruin everyone's day!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

You don't need a GPS to get to the south rim. Just hwy 93 to I-40 east to hwy 64 into the park.

Since you are getting married, a few of us who just posted saw a couple get married at Toroweap during a TA trip. Pretty nice surroundings! They said I DO at one of the most scenic and remote parts of the GC. The minister rode in on a dirt bike!

Indiana
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

Would red rock canyon be a cop out? It looks beautiful too and its close to vegas.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

The cop out is not giving the Grand Canyon the time it deserves.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

Grand Canyon would make a bigger impression. In the old days, before air conditioning in cars, my dad drove us on trips like this (and before I was around, this is how he took my mom around, too). She slept in the car. He'd sleep on a bench once we go to GC.

Take some blankets, it will be chilly waiting in the car and you could get there early (before sunrise). Mather Point would be fine (practically the first point you come to) or walk east towards Pipe Creek if you want a little more privacy. Dress very warmly. It could even be spitting snow - you never know. There will likely be snow on the ground so...well, use caution. Upper parts of trails where mules go (especially) will have ice - so no hiking below the rim with such little experience and in near darkness.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with a WHIRLWIND day trip to propose to the GF!

If you don't want to go as far as Grand Canyon go to Valley of Fire SP. Popular place for weddings and far better for that than Red Rock Canyon imo. Hope she says Yes, and congratulations then. Please let us know how it all went!

Tet