We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

We are traveling to Las Vegas at the beginning of May but have decided to take a slight detour and fly into Phoenix so we can travel to the Grand Canyon the onto Vegas.

I have done a little research (probably not enough) but I am struggling with how long I need to spend at the Grand Canyon.

My basic Itinerary is below, this is all a little complicated by the Mayweather fight on May 3rd which I would like to see.

May 2nd - Arrive into Phoenix at 7:45pm from Orlando, the plan is to find a hotel along I 17 possibly Anthem so we can take off early in the morning. Any suggestions for traveling a bit closer.

May 3rd - Leave hotel around 7:00am and get to the visitor center around 10am, we would probably be staying until 3pm or later depending on the fight in Vegas.

Now for the daft question, everything I look at suggests if I enter by the visitor center I leave by the visitor center. Is this the only/best route for traveling onwards to Vegas or can you exit the park at other locations. Maps suggest this is the only entry / exit point but wasn't sure about internal road in the park, I am aware there is a gaping great hole in the ground that might restrict my movements a little lol.

Any help or comments appreciated.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

Hi

This will be a very long day. You won't experience highlights at the rim that are sunset and sunrise. It app take 4 hours to get into GCNP entering via its East Entrance via Cameron and Desert View. Then there are many viewpoints along south rim off 64 (the drive through the park) and you'll leave GCNP by its south entrance and another 5 hours drive to Las Vegas after that. You'll find plenty of hotels along the I17 corridor in North Phoenix but Anthem already will bring a bit closer to GCNP. You won't be on the road before 8.45 though with the rental car pickup before. There really is no much beyond Anthem for lodging along I17 till Camp Verde.

Tet

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,635 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

Are you including in your planning that it takes 5 hours to drive from GCNP to Las Vegas? Your plan gives you very little time at GCNP.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

Considering this option will be made more expensive by a one way "drop off fee" As the hours of driving, would be not much increased ... Fly Vegas direct and mount the excursion, to The South Rim, from there ... carracar

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

Thanks for the replies, I have a reservation at Kachina lodge for the Saturday night as that was the original intention although it is only a streetside room.

Seeing it written down I will probably be dead on my feet by the time I hit Vegas and I didn't realise the fights started so early. Think we will probably give the fight a miss and spend the night.

Would it be a complete waste of time spending 3-4hrs in the park?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

Hi Carracar,

I have a car booked through a UK broker and been told there is no one way drop free from Phoenix to Las Vegas, I even had them check with Dollar to confirm this.

The original plan was to avoid the Friday / Saturday night in Vegas as the room prices are crazy but the fight has knocked all my plans.

Think we will stick with the original plan, I would like to see the fight but I am traveling with my partner so not all my decisions.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

I don't think 3-4 hours in the park is a waste of time. It's beautiful and worth seeing, with whatever amount of time you can give it. Just be very organized with how you'll spend your time while you're there. Skip the visitor centers and gift shops and get right to the rim to enjoy your limited time. Enjoy!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

No there won't be a drop off charge between Az and Nv with a European broker. I'd stick to your original plan and stay Kachina. You won't be in your room much and it's right along the rim. Strolling the rim in the dark and hopefully stargazing is magic. Bring a flashlight!

Tet

8. Re: Phoenix to Las Vegas - Confusing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:20