We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving tips please

Ramsgate, Kent
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving tips please

In September we are driving from Vegas to / round Grand Canyon to Yosemite to San franscisco any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Western PA
Level Contributor
735 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving tips please

How long is your trip? One of the helpful folks here will likely chime in, but to do so effectively they will need to know more about how long you plan to visit and what you like to do.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving tips please

Same question. How long? Grand Canyon North Rim or South Rim?

Ramsgate, Kent
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving tips please

We are travelling for 2 weeks - I know alot in a short time!

Would we have time to do North and South rim of Canyon?

Thanks for your help.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving tips please

Hi

September is a great time to visit but 14 days is a limited time to visit this wonderland.

After you've arrived it might be a good idea to stay in LV for 2 nights.

You may drive the Zion, Bryce,Grand Canyon"loop" first week from LV and visit Death Valley, Yosemite NP and San Francisco on your second week flying back from SF.

Maybe next route?

Day 1: Arrive Las Vegas

Day 2: Las Vegas

Day 3: Drive to Zion NP in the morning. Accomodation in Springdale

at the south entrance of Zion. Take the free shuttlebus into Zion (you can't drive your own car, unless you have accomodation in the park)

and visit Zion in the afternoon. Buy a National Park Pass valid for car and passengers for one year. It's profitable with visits to 3 or more NP's or NM's and others places.

Day 4: From Zion to Bryce NP, visit to Bryce in the afternoon (also a free shuttle bus but you're allowed to drive your own car up till now).

Stay in or outside the NP.

Day 5: From Bryce to Page at Lake Powell. Enjoy the views, maybe a visit to Antelope Slot Canyon just east of Page and relax.

Day 6: From Page to Grand Canyon entering from the east entrance.

Drive to Desert View and try to stay in the NP.

Day 7: All day Grand Canyon (there is the shuttle again!)

Day 8: From GC to Las Vegas and a visit to Hoover Dam in the afternoon. Night in LV.

Of course you can reverse this route.

Day 9: From LV to Death Valley for a visit and the drive to Lone Pine, Ca for the night.

Day 10: From Lone Pine to Yosemite NP. Visit Mono Lake near Lee Vining and drive Tioga Pass Road to Yosemite Valley for the night.

Day 11: All day Yosemite NP.

Day 12. From YNP to San Francisco

Day 13: All day San Francisco

Day 14: Departure, planning your next visit.

This is just a rough itinerary and there are many other options. Others will add their idea's I'm sure and you will have a splendid vacation. Try to make reservations esp.. in the NP's.

Tet{:o)-

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
208 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving tips please

Hi Joules1000 - we did a similar trip last August but over 3 weeks and I can assure you its wonderful but you will be pushing the limits in 2 weeks. We also had three teenage children with us and had to allow for them so we did relax en route.

I am assuming you will fly into LV and out of SF - if so, you might like to consider the following suggestions.

We found 3 days was sufficient to get a feel for LV and made sure we spent a day visiting each of the hotels and the attractions on Las Vegas Boulevard. We stayed at Westgate Flamingo Bay. We then drove via the Hoover Dam to a town called Williams (Days Inn)where we stayed 2 days and visited the South Rim of the GC and flew over it all in one day. I did consider a flight from LV but found better value from www.airgrandcanyon.com who fly out of the GC airfield. We didn't go to the North Rim but the experience is amazing at the South Rim on its own - do try and take a flight though. From there we went via Barstow to Santa Monica in Los Angeles and then up to SF, Yosemite and Death Valley before flying out of LV again.

For you, I would suggest you head for Yosemite via Death Valley as that is an experience worth seeing. We stayed in Stovepipe Wells and found that good for 1 night but there is also accommodation at Furnace Creek. At Yosemite, we stayed on the valley floor in the Yosemite Lodge accommodation (log cabin effect) and preferred that to the tents in Curry Village but you will need to book early as even 12 months before some accommodation can be full. There is a tour of the valley floor with rangers that is interesting.

If you head from Yosemite to San Francisco, we stayed near the airport (Empress Suites) and drove in each day. The drive was not far or difficult but the cost of parking increases the nearer you get to Pier 39 Fisherman's Wharf - try one of the piers further out eg Pier 27 from where you can comfortably walk to Pier 39 etc etc. Do visit Alcatraz, ride the cable cars and do a bike ride over Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito return vis ferry. We even fitted in a baseball game one evening.I've given you the hotels we stayed at so you can search against my write ups to see if you want to use them. The only other advice I can give is to use this website and read up on reviews/post questions it really helped my planning.

If you want to ask anything else please let me know and I'll try and help.

Have a great time.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving tips please

I am planning the same trip in oct.07

Will arrive to las vegas 18th oct and stay 2 nights leaving 20th oct to zion, cant seem to find springdale on the map ( DO I NEED TO BOOK ACCOMODATION IN ADVANCE PLS)

will go to bryce and then to grand canyon for 3 nights but i am hoping to see flagstadd,sedona etc. after leaving bryce and before going to grand canyon lodge.

Any advice on whether to stay i n flagstaff or sedone??? and if so where pls.

will be flying to san franscisco from lss vegas and want to do yosemite from san franscisco then take the coastal road to los angeles.

pls advise on driving tips from san franscisco to yosemite then to the coastal road to los angeles .is yosemite open all year round and is there a chance of staying in the yosemite lodge? can u tell me the website to book pls

thanks ysh

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving tips please

vsh: are you looking at a Utah map for Springdale? You might want to go to the Utah forum for help about Bryce and Zion.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving tips please

I ve got a usa west map and it has utah but cant see it. will go into the zion and bryce forum for more tips abt those few places.

thanks very much

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving tips please

Answering your question, Springdale is right next to the entrance to Zion Park, so if your map shows you where Zion is then you're also looking at Springdale. As for reservations, it's a good idea if you want to stay at Desert Pearl Inn -- a fabulous place in Springdale that is usually full. Otherwise you could probably take your chances and still get some place to stay ... as long as you arrive early enough in the afternoon.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving tips please

I recommend the Zion lodge inside Zion if you can get reservations. Xanterra.com Call them for cancellations if no reservations are available online. If you can't get the Zion lodge, then try Springfield. Go to Kayak.com and they can give you choices there. There is also a lodge inside Bryce operated by Xanterra. Ruby's Best Western outside of Bryce is an option if the lodge is not available. I would try to make advance reservations. I do not know how busy it is this time of year.