We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Phantom Ranch

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking Phantom Ranch

Hi

We are from the UK and are planning a trip to GCNP in 2015 and want to stay at the rim and do the overnight Mule trip to Phantom Ranch.

Can anyone tell us how to book from the UK, can see that we can book lodgings online but can’t see anywhere we can book the Mule trip.

Seems you can only book by phone which will be costly from UK.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ian & Julie

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

You can contact them by mail but you will risk not getting the reservation you want since the mule rides book quickly. Booking by phone is the best way.

1-303-297-2757

Xanterra Parks & Resorts - Central Reservations

6312 South Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 600N

Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,436 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

Yes this phone call can be costly but it's your best chance of actually getting the reservation! These trips book up to a year in advance and are very popular!

DTF provided the phone number....I would urge you to call them on the first of the month in 2014 for the month you are planning in 2015!!

SJG

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

I am from the UK and have Phantom Ranch reservations and have reserved lots of other things by phone - all without spending more than £3 on phone calls. You can get very cheap calls abroad from your landline or even mobile using a service specifically for calling overseas. Try this website from Martin Lewis (the "money saving expert" from TV):

…moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/

I use Dial 123 at http://www.dial123.co.uk/ but I don't know if they are still the cheapest best to check.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 14:20
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

Very helpful advice! Thank you for taking the time to post that. I know booking by phone is difficult for overseas visitors, but hopefully this will help them.

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

Hi

Thanks for your replys, very helpful.

Another question if you don't mind.

If we are lucky enough to get places to the Ranch is it safe to leave our luggage in the car and the car in the carpark or is there anywhere on site where we can store it?

Thanks

Ian & Julie

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

Yes, you may safely leave your luggage in your car, parked in one of the lodge car parks at the south rim. We have done this a number of times, and I know many others here have as well.

Good luck on getting those reservations at Phantom Ranch!

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

We visit as often as we can and have found using the 'phone is by far the easiest. Booking the mule trip should be straightforward.

If you want hikers bunks, it is an art and needs to be planned 13 months in advance making sure you ring at the right time for opening and keep ringing, don' give up until you get through.

We have however, been extremely lucky when planning a short notice trip and rung on the off chance and space was available! Other times we have got cancellations by going up to the desk at Bright Angel upon arrival. We know how very lucky we were on those occasions and never bank on it, there are so mant wonderful day hikes to do.

This year we backpacking and that is a whole other adventure, and that's just the application! It is all good if it means time below the rim. Have a great time.

It all started with us just peering over the edge and thinking " I wonder if we could make it to....."

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

Second the calling and calling and not giving up till you get through. I have hikers bunks for July this year - last year on 1st July I made 247 calls and got the busy signal each time until the last one then I was on hold for twenty minutes before getting the booking. I also got a rim-side Bright Angel cabin on the same call.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

They want to do the mule ride to Phantom, which is actually a bit easier to book than the Hikers cabin.

California
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Phantom Ranch

A good, safe place to park your car is in the Backcountry Information Center parking lot. Usually lots of spaces available.