We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Kaibab water

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
South Kaibab water

Just a heads up for anyone planning a hike on the South Kaibab trail.

Taken from the Hit the Trail website:

.....Important Notice! Jack Pennington of the Grand Canyon Field Institute has learned that the water at the South Kaibab Trailhead has been TURNED OFF! Plan ahead and tell others! There was a growing problem of the faucet dripping, and along with hikers spilling water, elk were attracted to the water and becoming extremely aggressive and bold which makes them dangerous. If the water gets turned back on will post.....

Please be aware that there will now be NO water available on South Kaibab at all!! Plan accordingly and have enough water with you if you hike South Kaibab!

SJG

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Kaibab water

Thanks for the info. Good to know for all. Seems like every year one or the other of the pipe systems goes down.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Kaibab water

Hopefully they will have a sign posted at the shuttle pick up. Not a good time to find out when you are at the trailhead.

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Kaibab water

Thanks for the heads up I'll be there in a couple of months.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Kaibab water

Moving this to the top so everyone will see it.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Kaibab water

As of May 16, 2014 the water at the trailhead was back on. I don't know if this is a permanent thing, but it was like this at the end of my hike on this date. It was a nice surprise to get water that was markedly cooler than what was in my pack!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Kaibab water

Good to know excess...thanks for the update!

SJG

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Kaibab water

Thanks excess - I hope it stays on, 8 weeks to go!

8. Re: South Kaibab water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 07:16