We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

I am going to Grand Canyon during May long weekend. We are planning to stay in Grand Canyon Village(South Rim) for 2 days. I am an budding photographer too, need to know what are the view points/trails we can explore in 2 days in South Rim. Also need to know about photographic view points near south rim where i can photograph Grand Canyon. Also looking forward for best view point to take sunrise/sunset photos.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,057 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page and use the link to the park website. You'll have plenty of time to tour all of the named view points along the rim inside the park. Photo ops will be everywhere. A short hike down South Kaibab or Bright Angel trails will give you a taste of what it's like below the rim. You don't need to go far, and probably shouldn't.

For sunrise and sunset, I like to walk along the rim path between El Tovar and Yavapai Observation Point

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

If you do not already have reservations, take care of that ASAP.

grandcanyonlodges.com

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Thanks!! Since we have 2 days is that worth a hike or go around the view points via shuttle? I am afraid if we go for a trail by hiking we might not have enuf time to cover all important view points.

Also let me know if we can cover all these view points in 2 days.

Hopi Point

Hermit’s Rest

Vermilion Cliffs

Lipan Point

Mather Point--We would enter here..

Desert View and Watchtower

Yavapai Poin

Grandview Poin

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,057 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Use your car to tour the viewpoints to the east as far as Desert View and back. You'll use the mandatory shuttle to tour the view points to the west to Hermit Rest. Walk the rim path between Bright Angel and Yavapai Observation Point. This is where I like to be for sunset and sunrise. No need to drive or ride anywhere and it's the best way to avoid crowds.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Thanks for the quick reply. Having said i can use own car for viewpoints, how can a categorize these view points day wise? Like i need to know which are the areas that i can cover on day 1 and what are the areas i can cover on day 2? Some thing like categorizing will help me plan.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

The Grand Canyon is huge, and you tour it at your own pace. The only thing to decide in advance is which entrance to use (South or East), which is often dependent on your overall vacation itinerary. Those who use the East entrance generally stop at all of those viewpoints on the way in to the South Rim Village area, which can take several hours or more if you go slowly. Read the Top Questions and peruse the NPS website for more info on that.

www.npg.gov/grca

As for the viewpoints themselves, there's no "categorizing the viewpoints". You can tour the park however you like. Everyone has their favorite viewpoints; some people may spend 10 minutes at one viewpoint, others can spend several hours. You don't need to schedule your time in advance. As a photographer at the GC, what you need is patience, and the ability to stop, watch, and look around to find what you think will be great shots, and then experiment with different camera settings to take them. Great shots are abundant.

I think a lot of people are under the impression that you have to "schedule" your time at the GC. You don't. Part of the beauty and magic is found when you allow yourself to just take it in, be still, and go with the flow, so to speak.

There are also lots of books on Grand Canyon photography; you can either order one before your trip, or buy one at the Visitor's Center bookstore when you arrive. These books generally provide tips on camera settings, filters, lighting, etc.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Also, take a look at the maps, so you can see how the park is laid out, and where the shuttles do and do not go:

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Thanks a lot for the info. We are heading from Phoenix airport to Grand Canyon Village,where we have booked a lodge. We will be checking in late night. Having said that i want to photograph the sunrise. What will be the best spot to photograph the sunrise in Canyon and also let me know how i can reach to that spot(either by walk or shuttle or own car, considering am residing in Grand Canyon Village(i think is Maswik Lodge).

As you have mentioned that there is no categorizing the viewpoints, i just want to cover all view points, taking that into consideration how can i plan for that? I am not sure how far each view points are located (say Lipan Point may be far from Desert view) so considering that how can plan my trip in such way that i can cover most of the view points

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

No "best" spot to watch the sunrise - actually the best spot is away from the lodges - just walk along the rim (east) and find a spot that appeals to you.

But if you really want the "best" spot IMO, it is on the South Kaibab Trail around Ooh Aah Point.

The SK trailhead is only accessible via the shuttle buses (regular shuttle and also the Hikers Express).

My sunrise photos from that area on the SK trail are excellent (even if I do say so myself LOL).

The light on the rocks and the color changes are fantastic. Well worth the time and effort to get there before sunrise. Make sure to take a headlamp if you go well before sunrise.

Giddyup

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plans for 2 days at Grand Canyon South Rim

Have you looked at the maps, read the NPS website, and read the Top Questions yet? That will help you.