We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone to Grand canyon

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yellowstone to Grand canyon

I am planning a family trip with my wife and three children 7,9,13. We will be travelling through Yellowstone 3 days, Salt Lake City 1 day, Zion 1 day and Bryce NP 1 day, Vegas 3 days, South Rim GC 1 day onto Phoenix. 3days

Just wondering if this is enough time at each place or is more time needed to see the not to miss sights. We will be travelling during August in our own car. We have some time on our side to add a few days if necessary. This is only one part of a 7 week trip from Edmonton CA down through these parks then back up the West coast.

Any advice would be appreciated and alternate routes considered.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone to Grand canyon

Hi

3 days Las Vegas with kids that age in august? Are you sure? Your time for Zion will be very limited. I suggest at least 2 nights there.

Phoenix will be very hot also. Not sure what you're planning there for 3 days and Sedona is on the way between GC and Phx. Wonderful location and kids also will love it www.visitsedona.com

Do you mean nights instead days? 1 full day at a place usually means 2 nights. From SLC you could drive to Torrey first for Capitol Reef NP and then drive between Torrey and Bryce via ut12. One of the most scenic drives in the UA www.scenicbyway12.com

If Las vegas can be skipped you could add Page to this trip www.visitpageaz.com

Tet

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone to Grand canyon

I suggest, after the Zion visit, drive up to the cooler North Rim of GCNP. Thus refreshed, drive to Las Vegas direct ... Then on to the California coast. As there is little in Phoenix, in Aug., to compel driving the additional miles ... carracar

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone to Grand canyon

Wherever you go you should make your reservations right now esp for Grand Canyon NP. Only one lodge at North rim inside the park. 6 lodges at south rim and several others in Tusayan just outside the park

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone to Grand canyon

Agree that the kids would probably enjoy Page and Lake Powell a lot more than Phoenix or Las Vegas. You pretty much have to pass through there anyway. Lots of water activities, easy hiking, great scenery and stuff to do. Stay there at least 2 days if you can shave a couple of days off the cities. Zion also deserves 2 days to do it justice.

Whichever Grand Canyon park you decide on, make reservations for your lodging PRONTO. Although I love the North Rim, I'd recommend the South Rim in your case because it's more family/kid friendly. More hotels, things, to do, etc. The North Rim is more low-key, plus with such a small room inventory, I'd bet money they've been sold out for at least six months.

Plan to purchase an America the Beautiful Federal Lands Access Pass. It will pay for itself on the trip you're planning to take. Since you're coming from Canada, just pick it up at the first National Park Fee Station you hit. Postage to pre-order it online would probably be outrageous, even for you guys, but if you wanted to check it out, visit store.usgs.gov/pass

Have fun!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone to Grand canyon

I would second the suggestion to drive first to Torrey and head to Bryce via hwy 12. It is a great drive and needs to be seen to understand.

Regardless do Bryce first before Zions. And add a day for Zion.

6. Re: Yellowstone to Grand canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16