We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

Hihi

Would like to check how feasible this plan is.

Intend to drive from Las Vegas to GC and would wanna stop by hoover dam to sightsee and maybe go for a tour?

I read that the tour is abt an hour.

9-10 drive from Vegas to hoover dam.

1030-12pm hoover dam and tour

12-3pm drive to GC

3-7pm sight see at GC. Leave after sunset.

Reach Vegas ard 10pm.

Is the above feasible?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

People do daytrips all the time,but it is close to 10 hours driving in one day, and you are getting a late start.If you really want to see the canyon, plan to spend the night to see sunset and sunrise.Then on the way back do a leisurely drive and see the dam/bypass bridge, or head back to Vegas via Oatman,Route 66 and Laughlin.

There are animals on the road, so you need to be cautious driving after dark.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

Feasible, yes. Desirable, no (IMHO). But far better than Grand Canyon West, that's for sure (IMHO again).

Edited: 18 May 2014, 17:06
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

As mentioned, it's almost 5 hours to the GC, not 3. If you want to do a daytrip, you need to leave very early from Vegas, and not make any stops. But it's definitely better to spend the night inside the GCNP.

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

Hoover Dam opens at 9am and it gets busy. If you leave Vegas at 8am you should be there just before it opens and get near the front of the line for tours then be on your way to the Grand Canyon earlier.

5. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 19:24
Edited: 18 May 2014, 19:24
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,558 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

The Hoover Dam is close to Las Vegas. If you really want to do a tour, I suggest doing this on a separate trip from the Grand Canyon. A GCNP day trip needs a very early start from Las Vegas and the entire day.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

Looks to me as if the OP has allowed 4 hours drive time from Las Vegas. They have allowed 1 hour to Hoover Dam (9-10) + 3 hours from Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon Village (12-3) = 4 hours total drive time one way. Google Maps says 3 1/2 hours from Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon Village. So yes, they need to factor in a bit more drive time.

I agree that the OP needs to start earlier in the day. If the dam tours start at 9 am, then the OP should leave Vegas around 8 am or not much later. If they are keen on seeing a sunset at Grand Canyon, then I also agree they need to stay overnight in or near Grand Canyon. Maybe Williams, AZ? We like to stay in Williams. I know, I know -- I can hears the groans of the Arizona DEs way over here in California! (smile). We like to stay in Williams because we have never cared for the *city vibe* at the South Rim.

EDITED: That is an excellent tip -- to tour Hoover Dam on another day, if the OP has the *other day* available when visiting Vegas.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 19:27
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

Quote: "We like to stay in Williams because we have never cared for the *city vibe* at the South Rim."

LOL...Copper, I'm assuming that's a "tongue in cheek" comment? ;)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

Thanks everybody!

I am afraid I may not be able to find another day to go HD, gotta cramp both in one day.

Maybe I skip the hoover dam tour? How long does one stays at the GC normally? My friends feedback that they only stayed for an hour or two (maybe because they are on a tour?)

Can I assume sun sets around 7-8pm and we can be back at LV by 11pm? Other than animals scares on the road, shd be quite safe to drive in the area right? :p

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: day trip to GCNP. Feasible?

About the Hoover Dam? Everyone is different as to what they enjoy seeing and doing. My advice is to drive to the dam -- you will drive there anyway, and see if it intrigues you to the point where you want to get out and see it up close. I would allow an extra hour in addition to the dam tour -- time to get parked, walk to the tour, wait for the tour to start, and then after the tour you need to get back to your vehicle, get out of the parking area, wait for other cars to figure out what they want to do, and the speed limits are very slow getting in and out of the actual dam and parking areas. It might gouge too much time from your day.

I don't think there is an amount of time that one normally stays at the Grand Canyon.

It looks as if the sunset will be closer to 8:00 pm -- between 7:30 and 8:00 pm.

The highways are safe -- no one is going to pull you over on the highway and do you harm during the day or after dark. It's the wild life jumping in front of car headlights on the highways after dark. The highways are not lit -- it is just your headlights.

About dams. Maybe you have an engineering mind or are otherwise intrigued by them -- how they were built, how many cubic yards of concrete, how they were engineered, how long it took to build them, how many people it took to build them, how many cubic feet of water they hold, how much electricity is generated to power how many homes. I don't have an *engineering* mind and so I do not care. I leave it to the experts to keep the dam operating as it should. I have visited 3 dams in my life -- all 3 visits were as a child, so I had to go along with my parents. I remain very uninterested as an adult.

Copper JackRabbit

Edited: 19 May 2014, 08:29