We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited time available - Please Help ;)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Limited time available - Please Help ;)

Hi There

We have decided to try and squeeze in some views of the Grand Canyon into our tightly packed trip in September.

We will be leaving from Vegas in rental car and possibly somewhat unfit for too early a morning departure...

The following day we need to be in Santa Monicaso we are quite conscious of drive times as we only have one person who will be driving.

I've obviously heard that South Rim is best but then West Rim is closer to Vegas.

We wouldn't return to Vegas after our sightseeing day so would probably want to stay somewhere to break up following days drive to Santa Monica

I was thinking Kingman?

If someone could help me with drive times for both options that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance

California
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited time available - Please Help ;)

I'm a big fan of MapQuest. Plug in the locations and off you go.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited time available - Please Help ;)

GCNP has no west rim. You are referring to a place called Grand Canyon West. The NP is much wider, deeper and more colorful. GCW is at a sidebranch of Colorado River. You'll have to drive a dirtroad for app 15 miles and entrance fee incl skywalk app is $ 100,-- pp. Entrance to the NP is $ 25,-- per car.

From Las vegas to GCNP and back to Kingman will be 8 hours in the car without stops.

California
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited time available - Please Help ;)

Regarding "Grand Canyon West", this is a pale imitation of the true Grand Canyon, South or North rims. GCW is like comparing a small apple to a mature apple tree. If you can afford about five hours drive time; you won't regret the trip. Its great to send the night in the National Park; sunsets and sunrises are world class.

4. Re: Limited time available - Please Help ;)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24