We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Now, where shud I go - I assume South Rim, stay, and do?

Sorry, thanks,

RicoD

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Fly into Phoenix and drive to the Grand Canyon South Rim. You will definitely want to stay inside the park. Check this site for room availability:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

We prefer the rim lodges: El Tovar, Kachina, Thunderbird, or Bright Angel. However, if you can only find availability at Maswick or Yavapai, book it. Anything inside the park is much better than anything outside the park.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,937 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Makes a difference when you plan this trip.

As in my other note, I would suggest 2 nights and GCNP and 2 in Sedona.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,988 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Have you read through www.nps.gov/grca ? Plenty of information what to do.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

I agree with Bob. Two nights at the GC is more than enough, unless you are avid hikers. Definitely add time in/around Sedona.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 01:22
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Will check into into Sedona. A colleague here mentioned the same. Thanks for all the help. Does hitting Flagstaff add anything to the trip- or Sedona shud do the trick?

In appreciation,

RicoD

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,937 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Flagstaff is an interesting small city. Sedona is in a spectacularly scenic area.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

If Flagstaff is a "small city" at 67,000 pop., then Sedona is a "small town" of about 10,000. If hiking along the rim of the GC doesn't suit, then the same could be said of Sedona. While it has some beautiful scenery, if you don't care to hike away your holiday, then you should consider making Flagstaff a stop as well. It is a very historic town going back to the 1880's with many original buildings remaining. With the larger population you will find a greater range of dining options. In addition, here are just a few of the highlights to be seen:

Lowell Observatory (where Pluto was discovered), the San Francisco Peaks highest point in AZ, Wupatki Indian ruins, Walnut Canyon, the Museum of Northern Arizona and the Riordan House, an authentic 19th century western mansion.

Both Sedona as well as Flagstaff deserve at least a day and night.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 21:26
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Some folks just have to be disagreeable.

Read the trip reports. People who visit the Grand Canyon National Park and Sedona tend to wish they had allowed more time for Sedona. You can't understand it until you arrive. The scenic beauty rivals the GC, not as a competitor but as a compliment. When it comes to facilities and available activities, Sedona is superior in many ways.

Flagstaff is an historic town. It's home to a major medical center as well as AZ's third largest state university. There's plenty to see and do there. But if you have four nights available in your plan, give 1-2 to the GCNP and the rest to Sedona.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

Differing view points doesn't mean disagreeable. Unless one view is intractable. Some think as much time as possible of your hard earned vacation should be spent only in the town they have fallen in love with and work and live in. That's understandable. But most people usually want to see more than one thing on their trip. Combining Flagstaff and Sedona gives you two different views of AZ. Both appealing in their own ways. And both deserving of a visit.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 00:10
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Omit previous question, I think we shud FLY from SA...RicoD

If the OP doesn't mind switching hotels more often than absolutely necessary, Flagstaff would be worth a night, depending on interests. Wupatki and Sunset Crater can be easily done on the drive from the GC to Sedona. To add Walnut Canyon, and maybe Standing on The Corner Park in Winslow and Painted Desert/ Petrified Forest, those would be more easily done from Flagstaff, rather than Sedona. Same with the observatory and museum.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 01:54