We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West rim or the north rim

Kochi (Cochin...
9 posts
Save Topic
West rim or the north rim

The tour iv booked myself Into is the west rim. But on reading I hear the south is what I should be seeing. But the west tom your includes a chopper ride n a boat on the Colorado river, and the skywalk while the south does not include any of these. Is there a south rim tour I can take which let's me enjoy a chopper ride and taken down to the Colorado river.

Kochi (Cochin...
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: West rim or the north rim

Sorry I meant south rim in my subject box.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West rim or the north rim

No there is no tour from the South Rim that will take you to the bottom of the Grand Canyon South Rim and the Colorado River via helicopter! There are tours that will take you down into the Canyon on one of the trails but you will be hiking!

In the National Park System the only helicopter's that you will see land at the bottom are rescue helicopters!

Of course there are tours that you can take but the South Rim is very easy to see on your own without a tour guide!

Read the "top Questions" on the right hand side of this page as well as www.nps.gov/grca and you will get a better "feel" for the area!

SJG

Edited: 09 July 2014, 12:23
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West rim or the north rim

Also forgot to mention as well as a "hiking" tour you can also take the Mule's down into the Canyon via an overnight tour, but this needs to be booked about a year in advance!

SJG

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West rim or the north rim

I assume you're talking about a tour from Las Vegas?

The South Rim is part of the Grand Canyon National Park and the visitor area is at the rim of the Canyon, about a mile up in elevation from the Colorado River. There are 30 miles of viewpoints along the rim that you can access. Otherwise, it's intended to be maintained as a wilderness, accessible by hiking and mule trains from the rim, or by week-long white-water raft trips.

Here's the National Park's visitors guide, which will give you an idea about what kind of activities and services are offered at the South Rim:

nps.gov/grca/…SRsummer2014_tabloid.pdf

Helicopter tours that fly *over* the Canyon can be taken from Tusayan, the town just outside of the Park.

The west rim, or more specifically "Grand Canyon West" is a commercial attraction developed on tribal lands at the far western end of the Canyon. As such, they offer more "tourist attraction" options, like helicopter rides to the bottom, the Skywalk, etc. It is certainly a more "Las Vegas" style experience. The Canyon there isn't as deep or dramatic (and some will say it's not the "Grand Canyon" at all...)

You'll just have to decide which is your personal preference. You will get better information about GCW on the Las Vegas forum.

Kochi (Cochin...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: West rim or the north rim

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}

Thanks for the info. \

Since I have a time restriction there is no way we can do an overnight stay. So considering it has to be a day trip Wud u suggest I go for the west side since it's a shorter drive and hence less tiring or should I still go for the south rim. \

2.) the grand adventures tours say the drop at the west side is far more jaw dropping and the view of the Hoover dam way better. Is that true? \

3.) since it's shorter we might be able to get back to Vegas in time for another show.\

4.) the south rim - how long are the walking tours for and is it too tiring? \

5.) is the skywalk worth it?the pontoon ride on the Colorado river? \

So what I'm thinking is, is should I just stick to the west considering I have a flight to LA the next day morng. Or should I actually go in for the real deal and see the south.}

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West rim or the north rim

First of all, I should point out that this is the "Grand Canyon National Park" forum and we are undoubtedly biased toward the National Park. Even if I try my darnest to be fair, I personally don't think that there's any comparison in terms seeing the Grand Canyon.

MY opinion is to compare apples to apples. If you're considering a combo heli tour to GCW that includes the Skywalk and boat trip options, for the same price (or less) and time, you can take a plane trip to the South Rim that gives you about 3 hours in the Park. Both Maverick and Papillon offer air tours to the South Rim.

I think the "views of Hoover Dam way better" is referring to seeing it from the air vs the ground. There are NO views of the dam from GCW or the South Rim. As for the western views being "more jaw dropping", that's a new one for me.

The Skywalk, I'm sure, is "cool", but it's NOT about views into the Grand Canyon. It's suspended over a side canyon, about 500 feet up from that canyon's floor. Think amusement park attraction. That said, if that's what you want, that's where you need to go. I think getting to the Colorado River, in itself, is a fun feature but read the fine print about the tour because I think the "pontoon boat ride" literally lasts just a few minutes.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 15:47
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: West rim or the north rim

All good questions, but the answers are all a matter of perspective. It seems to me that your key considerations are to see as much in as little time as possible, you like Vegas-style attractions, and money does not appear to be a major impediment. If those assumptions are true, then here's my thoughts:

1. Traveling to the "West Rim" from Vegas will be a much shorter round trip than to the Grand Canyon proper (South Rim), and more feasible in a tight timeframe. But the visual reward will be exponentially less. That's a judgment call.

2. The view into the "West Rim" is not more jaw-dropping than at the South Rim. There is the added gimmick of looking straight down through a transparent floor at Skywalk, but you pay a lot for that, and the vertical drop to the bottom is less than half of what the vertical drop to the bottom of the South Rim is. You're also not allowed to take pictures from on the Skywalk, so that view through the floor will have to remain a memory, not something you can view later at home. There are no views of Hoover Dam from either the west rim or South Rim. Dam views are either by car on the drive, or via helicopter on a tour. I'd suggest the views from a car are more impressive.

3. I wouldn't count on getting back to Vegas for another show going to either place, but more possible if you go to the west rim. That said, I'd consider the west rim to be a Vegas show, so you're already there. Honestly, if your priority is another Vegas show, I'd skip trying to see the Grand Canyon at all.

4. At the South Rim, how much and where you walk is up to you. The simplest way to see a lot is to take the free shuttle along the rim, get out every now and then, and tale in the many awesome viewpoints along the way. This is not tiring, free, and much more spectacular than anything you might see at the west rim. You can also hike into the canyon down a trail (Bright Angel or South Kaibab) as far as you like, but I'd turn around after a short time to avoid fatigue and the heat of the day.

5. Is the Skywalk worth it? No. Not to me. But to you, perhaps. You will pay a lot of money per person, plus more to buy their photos or videos. But if money is no object, it may indeed be something you'd like to do.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 16:03
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,790 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West rim or the north rim

There is no west rim of the Grand Canyon.

Are you looking for a Grand Canyon experience or a ride in a helicopter? If you visit the real GC at the Grand Canyon National Park south rim, you won't need the gimmicks.

9. Re: West rim or the north rim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:16