We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

Atlanta
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

Hello. I'll be in Scottsdale mid-September for work and am planning on flying into Phoenix the Saturday before to see the Grand Canyon for the first time! I'm scheduled to arrive at PHX Saturday at 1 pm and have to be in Scottsdale at 6 pm Monday - can you help fill in the blanks? Looking for some light hiking but mainly just want to experience the beauty and grandeur of the area, especially at sunrise, sunset and late at night when the stars are out.

I'd like to spend as much time as possible in GCNP but right now no rooms are available at the lodges inside the park - will keep trying. I'm also concerned about getting to the park too late on Saturday - coordinating with co-workers who are also flying in Saturday, so after renting a car we might not arrive at GCNP until 6 pm or later. Would it be better to stop in Sedona (or somewhere else) for the afternoon/evening, spend the night, and then head to the GC Sunday morning? I could probably stay at the GC until around lunchtime Monday.

I haven't spent any time in this area so everything will be new to me - open to pretty much anything. Thanks for your help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

Stay Saturday night at Sedona and Sunday night at the GC or nearby in Tusayan, or even Cameron Trading Post.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

Keep calling for cancellation for GC 888 297 2757 and make a backup for staying in Tusayan. www.tusayanhotels.com If you find a place to stay inside the park you can cancel your Tusayan reservation.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

We have some visitors coming unexpectedly in October and I called last night as the web-sight was showing no availability. I was able to get a great room. It is definitely worth it to call as we have done so many times successfully.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

I'm doing a similar thing at the end of September. Thanks to the excellent advice from Redrox and Tet, here's my itinerary:

- Day 1 - arrive noonish in Phoenix then on to Montezuma Castle and Sedona where we'll stay the first night; (neither Red nor Tet mentioned Montezuma so I don't know if it's worth the detour but it's not miles out of the way so I figured we'd give it a try);

- Day 2 - Sedona - Sunset Crater - Wupatki National Monument - Cameron Trading Post (stop for lunch?) - GCNP - overnight stay in Park (Yavapai Lodge). Plan to be at the rim for sunset;

- Day 3 - sunrise over the Canyon - back to Phoenix for 2:30 pm or so (either via 64 and I-40 or more scenic US180 to Flagstaff depending upon what time we leave the Canyon).

In hindsight, I think this route would have been better in reverse as Sedona - PHX is a shorter run and perhaps would have made for a more relaxing Day 3. However, I was unable to secure reservations in GCNP for night 2 and needed to get my itinerary pinned down a bit.

Good luck with whatever you decide and happy travels!

Edited: 18 July 2014, 13:16
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

Order doesn't matter too much. Sedona is one of the most relaxing places you'll ever visit. You'll be making plans to return for several days. A week is not unreasonable.

6. Re: Two-day itinerary, coming from Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16