We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon Experiences

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon Experiences

Hi,

We are planning to drive to the Grand Canyon mid October 2014, as we are coming from Australia, we really would like to see as much as possible of the native American history.

Where are the best places to experience this, also we are wanting to go on a helicopter flight over the canyon & possibly stay a night or two there.

We would really appreciate your suggestions, I'm a first timer & the only time there so I want to get it right :-)

Thanks

Renee

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,644 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. First thing you MUST do is book your Grand Canyon National Park lodging. Allow 2 nights for the GC and then add 2-3 more at. Sedona or Flagstaff to see other nearby attractions including several native historic sites.

Plan your helicopter flight for the morning after your first night at the park. Pre book that, or expect those morning flights to be sold out.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

Fellow Aussie here. I second what RedRox said. First get lodging at Grand Canyon National Park by calling Xanterra. If the website shows no availability, you really need to call them to see if they have any cancellations. Their phone number is 1-303-297-2757. You may need to call every day as cancellations do happen all the time, so be persistent.

There are 4 rim lodges, El Tovar, Bright Angel, Kachina and Thunderbird. And 2 lodges about 1/2 mile from the rim - Yavapai & Maswick. Take anything you can get at this stage.

Sedona is a great place to spend a couple of days too. Lots of old native American sites in the general area. And the red rocks are just gorgeous.

Giddyup

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

Thanks RedRox, the information contained in your answers on the South & North Rims in the top questions answered most of my questions in relation to what area we should head for. Looks like South Rim it is!

Thanks Gilbert56 for your heads up on the accommodation too :-) I think Sedona is going to be a must stop place for a day or two.

Starting to get my head around the itinerary now, really appreciate your help guys.

Is there a really good old western style town near Sedona with an old fashioned bar etc?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

The Hopi and Navajo reservations lie east of GCNP. The Hopi Cultural Center has a hotel and restaurant. Guided tours of the Hopi rez are available. http://www.hopiculturalcenter.com Research the tours & rez using Hopi Mesas.

US 264E from Tuba City goes through the Three Mesas of the Hopis to Window Rock, capitol of the Navajo Nation which has a museum and visitor center. http://www.navajonationmuseum.org

Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley lie within the Navajo rez. Tours by Navajo guides are recommended in both.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

Great links texhills, thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,644 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

The Cowboy Club in Sedona is a classic western bar and eatery. There are others nearby as well.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

I've got to try some of those Rattlesnake Bites & Cactus Fries, this is the sort of stuff I'm really looking forward to!

Any good ghost towns around?

Thanks RedRox

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

Check out Jerome, Prescott and Wickenburg for a "western" experience. If you are driving from Las vegas to Grand Canyon check out Chloride and Oatman.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

Your first question is not answered very well, so I will offer a little more. The best places to learn about Native American history and culture are museums and cultural centers. The major tribes in Northern Arizona which have such resources are the Navajo and Hopi people.

As mentioned, the Hopi have a cultural center at Second Mesa on their lands which is also a town. They have an inn with a restaurant there as well, which have received good reviews. They offer tours of their mesa towns. Some of the Hopi still live in their mesas, but many also live in towns and modern housing. They are a very private people. Visitors are welcome only where they tell you so.

The Navajo have cultural centers in several towns including Page, Window Rock, Kayenta and others. Most Navajo live in towns in modern housing. They are also a very private people.

You can tour lots of ruins in Northern AZ, but most have nothing to do with the Native peoples living there today. The Hopi are indigenous to the area for thousands of years and likely are descendants of hunter gatherer people in the same area, and are related to the pueblo builders both ancient and modern. The Navajo are "late comers," having arrived in the area in the 13th to 16th centuries from Canada, and initially living by raiding other people for food, horses and people.

Two of the best resources for learning about these people are the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff and the Heard Museum in Phoenix. There is also a lot of information online from both tribes as well as the Zuni who are a unique group in the same area.

Lee's Summit...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon Experiences

I would include a full day at Mesa Verde National Park in Southwestern Colorado, for sure, to meet your objectives.