We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in the South Rim

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
264 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
One day in the South Rim

I'm going to be at the GC for one whole day on Monday 6th October. I will be staying at Yavapai Lodge both the night before and the night of the 6th so it really is a full day available. I will also have the following morning free too if necessary before driving to Las Vegas. I am travelling with my partner and we are both quite active.

My question is, how should we spend our day there? We want to do a helicopter tour to see as much as possible and have chosen one we like the look of. Should we do this on the day we have free or should we do it in the morning before we travel onto Las Vegas?

I know we don't have much time so we really want to get the most out of it :)

Thanks in advance, Pippa.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in the South Rim

I was just going to post a similar question. I am however driving up early morning from Scottsdale to Flagstaff, and like you will have a whole day there, staying overnight in Flagstaff.

Although we are active we expect it will be hot and aren't bringing footwear suitable for trekking.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in the South Rim

October won't be hot. Great time of year. Do the heliflight in the morning with less turbulances and less haze. You can do it before the drive to Las vegas also but there are more places on the way to Las vegas like stretches of R66 and Hoover Dam

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,548 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in the South Rim

Good advice from Tet. Divide your time for three areas, 1) east rim to Desert View and back, 2) west rim to Hermit Rest and back, 3) Grand Canyon Village including rim path, hotel zone and historic buildings.

Lesley, you will not have a full day. The drive from Scottsdale to Grand Canyon National Park will take most of 4 hours. Getting back to Flagstaff in the afternoon will take another 90 minutes. Flagstaff is that far from the GCNP. I suggest that you plan to enter the park at the east entrance at a Desert View and tour the rim view points from there to GCVillage. That will be most of your day. If you still have time, spend it on the rim path near the hotels. Then get back in your car and exit the park well before the mobs show up for sunset. Plan to be back in Flagstaff before dark. Driving in darkness in northern AZ is a really bad idea.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
264 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in the South Rim

Thank you Tet and Red!

We will be doing Hoover Dam a few days later on our journey from Vegas to LA. There is a raft tour we are planning to do the morning we leave Vegas, which is why we thought it might be better to save the helicopter trip for the morning we leave GC?

Also, would you recommend we look to explore the rim on foot or by bike?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in the South Rim

Well yes, you can take an early flight the day you leave for Las Vegas. We never rented bikes so can't judge. You should drive to Desert View (to the east) and back by car. You can take the HoHo shuttle to Hermits Rest (te the west) and walk between viewpoints. Are you panning to see Hoover Dam, do the rafttour from Wllow Beach and drive to LA same day? That for sure will be full day!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
264 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in the South Rim

We were planning to leave Vegas around 9 and get to Hoover Dam for around 10. There is a 'postcard' tour that they do which is only around 1.5 hours so we are going to do that rather than the full on one to Willow Beach. We thought that way we should still reach LA by around 6pm at the latest?

Do you think it's possible for us to do Desert View and Hermits Rest in our one day? And if not, which should prioritise?

Thanks again.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in the South Rim

Yes, you can do both in one day. I'd head to Desert View first and reserve the afternoon for Hermits rest. Also for sunset walk away to the east from GC VIllage (in the Yavapai Point direction) and enjoy sunset at the rim. Be at the rim 1 hour before sunset and see the canyon change.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in the South Rim

Thanks Redrox

We hope to be in Flagstaff for 9am. We will be still jetlagged and waking up at silly hours after flying from the UK, so we'll be on the road early. We will also be out of there before dark, sounds dangerous. I think about 4pm we would leave, please let me know if you think that's too late. I expect the sunset might still be nice in Flagstaff. We'll go to the hotel and get showered and out for dinner somewhere. We will be driving West towards Kingman, Oatman and on to Laughlin next day. Plan to stop in Oatman at least.

I can see on google maps the Desert View Watchtower. Silly question, but do we just drive along the 64 east towards that, or is the 64 inside the park? Is it important to go over there as well as the Grand Canyon Village? I have a book, I really need to take this info and look some stuff up there too.

Thanks very much for the help! :)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in the South Rim

Desert View is the last view point before the East exit of GCNP. 64 is inside the park until shortly after that. Be sure to go to DV. Visit the watchtower and climb to the top for the uninstructed views.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
264 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in the South Rim

How long should we allow for the drive to DV and also for time there?

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...