We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset/Sunrise question

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset/Sunrise question

We are planning on viewing sunset and sunrise from the south rim. We will have our own car, but I'm wondering if you have to take the shuttle bus to viewing points or can you drive yourself? Are private cars allowed to share this part of the road with the bus?

Thanks

Linda :)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset/Sunrise question

Hi

Are you staying at Grand Canyon Village in one of the lodges? You don't need to drive out anywhere if you stay there. Just walk away from the village to the east along the rim and find a place to enjoy. Yavapai Point is great for sunset but esp for sunrise imo. Private cars are not allowed on the way to Hermit's Rest in summer. You can drive yourself to desert View (to the east) and other viewpoints but no need to do that for sunrise and sunset. Avoid places like Mather and Hopi because they are crowded.

What time of year are you coming?

Tet

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset/Sunrise question

Thanks for your reply Tet. We will be there for only one night on the 14th sept (a Sunday night) . Despite booking months ago, the only accommodation I could secure was yavapai lodge. We don't like crowds at all. I did not fancy waiting to get on a crowded shuttle bus. We are travelling as a family, children 14 and 12. Was hoping to enjoy a picnic style dinner at sunset.

Linda :)

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset/Sunrise question

This is a simple map of Desert View Road, which goes east from the Village, right along the rim. You can drive this in your own vehicle. Each of the view points has a parking lot and good picnic spots.

nps.gov/grca/…desert-view.pdf

Yavapai Lodge is fine, don't worry. Have a great trip!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset/Sunrise question

Thanks! I can not wait, I'm not too worried about the accommodation, only there for one night and I'm guessing we won't be in the room all that much. Thankyou so much for the link to the map, very helpful :)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset/Sunrise question

Bring a flashlight (torch) for staying Yavapai. You will thank me for this advice ;-) You'll definitely need if after sunset at the rim.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset/Sunrise question

Flashlight....check! Thankyou :)

7. Re: Sunset/Sunrise question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...