We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

I'm planning to fly to Las Vegas in August 2014 to see The Grand canyon.

I have 8 days and my wish would be to see the south rim, Zion and Bryce. But I don't want to drive hundreds of miles everyday, as i am only the driver. I'm really hoping someone can suggest a relaxed itinerary, that takes in some, if not all of these amazing places. The must see is the south rim. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Best,

Fifi

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

The route is what it is and it will be several hundred miles. The first thing you must do is book lodging. That could be tough at this late date. Ideally, 2 nights at Zion, 1 at Bryce, 1-2 at Page, 1-2 at the Grand Canyon National Park.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

Driving times are not excessive. Las vegas-Zion is 3 hours. Zion-Bryce: 2 hours, Bryce-Page: 3 hours. Page-Grand Canyon-3 hours. Grand Canyon-Las vegas: 5 hours.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,927 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

You have posted on the Yosemite and Yellowstone forums also. Are you planning to do all three parks in 8-10 days or just going to choose one?

Very important to get lodging- best is in the parks!!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

For GCNP use wwwlgrandcanyonlodges.com. If nothing shows up online, call them directly--you may luck into a cancellation. If nothing, check the hotels in Tusayan, Arizona, gateway town at southern entrance to GCNP. For Zion, check in the town of Springdale--more options and better dining than in the Lodge in the park, IMO. For Bryce, use www.foreverlodging.com the official site for Forever Resorts. If nothing available, try the Ruby's complex outside the park. You have left it very late--bookings are accepted a year in advance in the park lodges. Good luck. Availability will likely determine your itinerary.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

Thank you so much for your insightful suggestions... Lucky me, I have secured accommodation and ready to rock n roll!!!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

So you are making the Las Vegas-Las Vegas loop?

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

yes I am,

Vegas to Zion (Stay in Zion 2 days)

Zion to Bryce (Stay in Escalante - Great Airbnb of silver bullet Trailer) Stay 1 day

Bryce to Page (Stay 2 days)

Page to Grand Canyon (Stay 2 days)

Grand Canyon to Sedona (Stay 1 Day)

Sedona to Vegas

It took a while to research distance, places to stay, things to see along the route. I'd be happy to share.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

Keep in mind that Escalante is about an hour away from Bryce. You'll miss sunset and sunrise at the park. I'm not knocking Escalante. It's worth several days as a base. But for your loop it is out of the way and a bit inconvenient.

You'll wish you had more time at Sedona. Since you're coming from Page, I'd drop a night at GC and give it to Sedona. JMO

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

Thank you, this is great advice!

So would you suggest that I watch the Sunset in Bryce before heading to Escalante? Or go to get to Escalante to catch the sunset?

And, thanks for the advice with Sedona, I will very much consider it. Do you suggest just one day at GC then? would this be enough time? Perhaps there is more to see in Sedona?

thank you in advance.

and if you know of any good eateries that you could recommend , I'd appreciate it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relaxed / easy 8 day Roadtrip Grand Canyon -

My suggestion would be staying at Bryce Lodge or Rubys Inn rather than detouring to Escalante.

What do you like to eat? You'll have few options except at Springdale and Sedona