We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

Hello we are looking at going to see the Grand Canyon whilst in LV. We only have one day to spare so I know most of you will say we need longer or don't bother at all. Regardless We have settled on this very long 15 bus tour that'll go to south rim.

grand-adventures.com/grand-canyon-sunset-tou…

is there any other options like heli tours or planes that conduct day tours to the south rim? We are not keen on the west and skywalk after reading the reviews. I've looked at the different heli operators all go to the west rim or just do flyovers. I'm keen to fly : land there spent a few hours there and fly back. Is there such a tour?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

This company says it flies to the south rim and mentions Bright Angel Lodge and El Tovar Lodge so it looks genuine but I haven't checked the small print:

viator.com/tours/…d684-5235EXPLORER

There might be other companies - that was just the first link that Google came up with.

With the bus tour that you linked to, I was very impressed by the detailed description. It would be one heck of a long day though.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 14:05
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

Please read top questions at the right hand side of this page (full screen version only): "What if I can't drive to GCNP"

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

Unfortunately that Top Question does not describe the air tour options; it simply says there are no overnight tours or scheduled airline service. However, there ARE one-day tours by air. They pick you up at your hotel, fly you to the south rim airport! then bus you to two rim viewpoints.

In addition to the Viator tour posted above,,there is this from Grand Canyon Airlines:

grandcanyonairlines.com/tours/grand-canyon-d…

(Actually may be the same tour with a different booking agent, although the airplane looks different).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

Fixed wing, air to the South Rim is possible ... And VERY, expensive ... Helicopters are very expensive to operate per hour,over long distance ,,, Therefore are used for excursions not, transport. Your best practical, option is ... Rent a vehicle & drive ... carracar

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,799 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

Scenic Airlines, Papillon and Grand Canyon Airlines are all the same company and are the providers of air tours to GCNP SR.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,546 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

Viator is a booking agency and employs all of the air and ground tour options.

Any tour that goes from LV to the Grand Canyon National Park will give you the same 3 hours inside the park at the same 2 view points. The difference is type of transport and the time it takes to get there and back. Smaller tour groups will enjoy slightly more time and personalized itineraries inside the park.

7. Re: Alternatives to bus trips for a day at the canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...