We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

This is a report on hiking to the bottom of GC and back to the top again in one day.

First of all, I would like to thank all those people on this forum who helped us to prepare for this hike. We could not have done it without their help, or at very least we would not have been as prepared for it.

Originally we planned to do the hike in July. However, when we did our final itinerary we ended up doing it on 13th of August. Part of the reason for August hike was less likelihood of a hot day than in July.

We got to Grand Canyon at 5.00 pm on 12th of August. We got our food and drink supplies and by the time we had dinner, it was 9.00 pm.

We took water and electrolytes powder to keep hydrated. For food we took cereal and milk for breakfast. For snacks and lunch we took canned tuna, bread, loose trail mix, trail mix bars, pretzels and bananas.

We caught the 4.00 am bus to South Kaibab trailhead and started the hike at 4.30. There was only 1 other couple, young couple, on the bus and they were only going as far as Ooh Aah point.

It was raining lightly, very dark and the trail was quite slippery. It is not well maintained. We had head lamps and we took it very slow until the daybreak. The rain stopped around the sunrise and the trail got much better. It rained again sporadically until we got away from the River.

After the daybreak, we stopped occasionally to enjoy the views and to rest. We had snacks and water roughly every half hour. It took us almost 4 hours to get to the bottom and had breakfast at Colorado River. We spent over an hour at Phantom Ranch, including having coffee and delicious lemonade at the canteen.

We then continued up the Bright Angel Trail and got to Indian Garden just after noon. I realized that I left my glasses about 1 km back. Ran back to get the glasses, had lunch and an hour later we were on our way towards the top.

We had many stops along the way enjoying magnificent views and had decent breaks at 3 mile and 1.5 mile points. We were at the top at 4.15.

By the time we got to the top, we were tired, but at no stage did we feel that it was a very strenuous hike and that we would struggle. The last part from Indian Gardens to the top was the hardest part as it was quite steep, quite warm and we were getting tired. We were very lucky that it was not a hot day. We would have cancelled the hike it was a very hot day.

We felt that we were prepared physically and mentally and we had the right gear, water and food for this hike. Anybody thinking about doing this hike in a day, needs to think extremely carefully as it is not an easy hike by any means.

We talked to 3 different people the day before the hike. They where from the visitors centre, the book store where we bought the maps and the general store where we bought our food supplies. They were all horrified when we told them what we were planning to do. Maybe we didn’t look young enough or fit enough for this. I am 62 and my wife turned 60 today. We keep in good shape and do a lot of hiking on a regular basis.

I hope this report helps those that want to hike to the bottom and back in 1 day or more. I also hope that it discourages those that are not in top shape physically and mentally, from doing this hike at all.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,818 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

Stressing that this is contrary to the best advice given, not only be experts here at TA, but by park officials, rangers and others of authority at the GCNP. Can it be done? Yes. Has it been done? Yes. Is it a potentially dangerous and life threatening expedition? Most certainly yes.

Actually, the OP's age and life experiences are assets in this case. Statistically,those most like to get in trouble and even perish in the Grand Canyon are in the 20-40 age range, physically fit, and mentally believing they are invincible. A slower more even pace, and a body that has been exposed in the past to extreme environments, including heat and sudden elevation changes, such as those at the GC, are more important factors here.

Congrats on your achievement cromansydney, but please don't encourage others to attempt this hike.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

Thanks for the report! I'm glad you were able to enjoy this hike; it sounds like you have the experience to know what you are doing.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

I would never encourage others to do this. It is not an easy hike as I said before. It can be deadly if you are not properly prepared and if you don't know your limits. It should not be attempted by anybody on a very hot day IMO.

I was reading in another thread about a 24 year old marathon runner who lost her life trying to do the hike in 1 day. Very sad and tragic, but It was easy to see where she made a number of fatal errors. As you said ReRox, "....perish in the Grand Canyon are in the 20-40 age range, physically fit, and mentally believing they are invincible."

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

Cromansydney,

Well done !! I am so glad you made it to the bottom and back safely. The weather does play an important role in hiking at the Grand Canyon. You were lucky that it wasn't too hot.

Thanks for posting a report.

Giddyup

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your report

California
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

Hey OP, very glad you did o.k. I think the weather was favorable, having light rain prior to sunrise; it probably slowed the Canyon heat-up. Still risky, I'm also 62. I've been to the bottom a few times, but never up/down in one day.

7. Re: Report on Rim-Bottom-Rim hike in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:17