We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicap parking

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
11 helpful votes
Handicap parking

Does a regular handicap parking tag work at the Grand Canyon, or do you have to have the National Parks "Access" Pass? I thought I read that you have to have the access pass for parking and to drive you car in certain areas, but I also read on an older post on this forum that they give will give you an access pass when you arrive, if you are handicap. My sister has a handicap tag...we are trying to determine if she needs to get an access pass.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,399 posts
15 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: Handicap parking

I'm sure you can park in the designated handicap spaces with just a tag (placard) BUT it's very easy to get the park's access pass, which will also allow you to drive your own vehicle on Hermit Road. You can just ask for the pass at the entrance gate when you arrive or at any of the transportation desks in the lodge lobbies. Special paperwork is not required -- I'm sure just having a handicap placard will be sufficient. (All I did was show them my foot in an orthopedic boot.)

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Handicap parking

Ok perfect! Thanks for the quick reply

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
68,347 posts
250 reviews
250 helpful votes
3. Re: Handicap parking

Confirming. Simply mention or present your handicap credentials at the park entrance. You'll be provided all the information you need.

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Handicap parking

Thanks RedRox

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,230 posts
95 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: Handicap parking

Let me give you a strategy for Desert View. The parking there is a long way from the watchtower and the rim. It's not really accessible unless you're in a wheelchair. It's not very accessible to people who have mobility limitations. Drive your vehicle to a dropoff area which is closer to the rim than the handicapped parking area. The dropoff area is on the east side of the main parking area. Then have someone with no restrictions or fewest restrictions take the car back and park it in the handicapped.

I also recommend visiting the bathrooms on the way to the overlook as it's a long walk from there.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 16:54
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,230 posts
95 reviews
98 helpful votes
6. Re: Handicap parking

Ran out of edit time. All other overlooks besides Desert View are far more accessible. Many have parking right at the rim.

7. Re: Handicap parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:17