We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA road trip- advise needed

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Topic
USA road trip- advise needed

I am planning a self-drive holiday in USA from 1 to 17 Nov together with my wife and 12 year old son.

These are my plan:

1/11- Arrive Los Angeles (City Tour)

2/11- Universal Studio (As it is a Sunday, we will buy the Fast Pass admission tickets to save some time)

3/11- Disneyland

4/11 - Leave LA to Kingman (AZ)

5/11 - Leave Kingman early in the am to Grand Canyon Village (Arrive before noon- drive around the south rim)

6/11 - Take a tour to Page, visit Antelope Canyon and Colorado river. Return to GCV in the evening.

7/11 - Horse ride in Grand Canyon village. At about 2pm leave for Las Vegas

8/11- Explore Las Vegas and night show

9/11 - Outlet malls shopping

10/11- Leave LV to Death Valley- arrive Stovepipe Wells

11/11- Depart Stovepipe Wells to Yosemite Village

12/11- Explore Yosemite National Park

13/11- Leave Yosemite Park to San Francisco

14/11- Explore SF

15/11- Day trip to Napa valley

16/11- Return home

Would greatly appreciate your advise. Tks

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,419 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

You've already posted about this trip and gotten advice; looks like you've reversed the order for LV and GC.

tripadvisor.com/…60761758

Repeating my response in your previous thread -- did you look at the closing dates at the link I included in that post? I think planning an itinerary through Tioga Pass in mid-November is risky. I'm guessing you don't understand what winter snow conditions in the Sierra can be like. You need a back-up plan in case Tioga Road into Yosemite is closed. This is for 11/11.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 16:08
United States
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

I don't think this OP is listening to, or understanding, any of the excellent responses he has received.

And once again, this belongs in the "Road Trip" forum.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

OP, the first section of this television programme illustrates winter conditions in the Sierras. They are not something to take casually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV5U3pYN5E4

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

Yes, your itinerary needs adjusting. You can't drive from Death Valley to Yosemite in mid-November because of snow.

You can do this instead:

1/11 Arrive San Francisco

2/11 San Francisco

3/11 Drive to Yosemite, stay overnight

4/11 Yosemite

5/11 Drive to Monterey, stay overnight

6/11 Drive to Pismo Beach, stay overnight

7/11 Drive to Los Angeles, stay overnight

8/11 Los Angeles, drive to Anaheim, stay overnight

9/11 Disneyland

10/11 California Adventure

11/11 Drive to Kingman, stay overnight

12/11 Drive to Grand Canyon, stay overnight

13/11 Grand Canyon

14/11 Drive to Las Vegas, stay overnight

15/11 Las Vegas

16/11 Fly home

Oh... I also added in California Adventure. Disneyland is two parks, Disneyland itself and California Adventure, and with a 12-year-old I really think you should see both since you are right there. But it's your call.

There is no way to do Page plus Grand Canyon South Rim activities all on the same day, so I took Page out.

This itinerary is tight. Personally I'd tweak it even more, but I tried to keep to your basic idea. But you simply CANNOT drive from Death Valley up Rt. 395 to Yosemite Valley in November. The road that takes you to the Valley will very likely be closed for snow. Detours are hours out of the way. So it's better just to skip Death Valley and the eastern Sierras drive.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

Hi,

Really appreciate all your valuable feedbacks and comments.

Look like I can't drive to Yosemite via the Death valley.

Tks Nicole L for your suggestion too but unfortunately my flight home is from SF.

10/11- Leave LV to Death Valley- arrive Stovepipe Wells

I am thinking of going to Yosemite from the westen side. This would be my revise road trip-

10/11- Depart Las Vegas to Fresno and over night at Fresno

11/11- Depart Fresno to Yosemite Village

12/11- Explore Yosemite National Park

13/11- Leave Yosemite Park to San Francisco

what is your advise?

tks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

Taking a day trip to Page from the Grand Canyon National Park is silly. First, you miss out on time at the Grand Canyon. Second, you can go there and stay over night, all on your own and you'll see and do much more than the tour would do for you. Third, you'll save a bundle of money.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 04:42
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

Already answered in your other thread and suggested to make it in one long day from Death Valley to Oakhurst via Bakersfield with Tioga Pass closed.

8. Re: USA road trip- advise needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16