We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon altitude

the Netherlands
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
grand canyon altitude

Has anybody had physical problems due to the altitude (7000 ft)? I am a little worried about that.

Is Yavapai West nice enough? We prefer it over East because it has only 1 floor, so no one above us.

Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
2,901 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon altitude

Hi

I personally have never had any problems with the altitude at the Grand Canyon. So long as you are reasonably fit and don't have any breathing problems you'll be fine, so stop worrying.

Sorry can't help you regards Yavapai, I've never stayed there.

Enjoy the Grand Canyon.

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
2,901 Reviews
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
35 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon altitude

If you do anything strenuous, you may feel the altitude a little bit, but I have never found it to be a problem. I wouldn't worry about the altitude unless you have major health problems. I can't help you on the Yavapai since I have never stayed there.

Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
2,901 Reviews
Australia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: grand canyon altitude

Hi!!

First visited the grand canyon February 04 ( highly recommend seeing it in winter, we had the place almost to ourselves!! ,it was freezing cold but beautiful, covered in a thick layer of snow, which added to the experience).

We drove from Las Vegas and parked at a viewing area. As soon as I started to walk, I felt breathless, a bit light-headed and was really gasping for air!! I thought i was having an asthma attack ( which I don't suffer from) or that it was the below freezing air. I had to return to the car and rest!! I felt really unfit, and as I am only 37, this worried me. It wasn't until we went to the main Village for some souvenir shopping, and I mentioned my breathlessness to the shop assistant , that I discovered I was experiencing altitude sickness!!! Apparently it kicks in at around 7000 feet for those who are susceptible and the canyon is around 7300 feet! It was ok, I just took my time and heavy-breathed!!.

We are going back to the canyon in a month, and I am curious to see how I will react this time!

Don't let this put you off experiencing the most magical place on earth, It is truly awe-inspiring!!

Regards Robyn (Australia)

Mentioned in this post
the Netherlands
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: grand canyon altitude

Thanks everyone for your advice. We can't wait to see the Grand Canyon!

Mentioned in this post
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand canyon altitude

Hi there

being from Flanders, I wanted to post this in Dutch first, but it would probably be blocked then. So better not take any risk and write this in English.

Don't worry about altitude. You won't notice it at all. Stayed there a few years ago and my relatives (father, aunt,...) go there a lot and never exerienced anything due to the altitude.

About Yavapai, we stayed at the Yavapai West and it was perfect for us. Not expensive and clean, spacy, comfortable rooms. We're going back in July and booked at Yavapai East. No real reason, just to try something else (although the rooms have A/C, which can be useful in Summer!)

Anyway, you'll enjoy the lodge and the breathtaking views at Grand Canyon. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
2,901 Reviews
USA
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: grand canyon altitude

A bit late but on topic. My family and I vacationed for a week in Summit county [Copper Mountain ]Colo,elevation 10k. I'm an older runner, and as a result have a slower pulse. Fishing at 9100 ft was wonderful, but returning to the condo at 10,000 caused problems.

Couldn't sleep, terrible headache etc. Went to the local doctor who diagnosed Altitude Mountain Sickness.I had to sleep with an oxygen concentrator for 4 nites. His comment was that runners do NOT do well in high altitudes. Mountain climbers "pant" whereas runners with slow pulses are the exact opposite.

I never had trouble in Denver or anywhere below the 9000 mark.

Steady

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
phoenix arizona
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand canyon altitude

Having altitude sickness depends on the individual. If you have any of the following symptons when your there it's probably from the altitude. Loss of appetite, headache, bloody nose. I lived there 4 1/2 years and when I first got there I didn't eat much for 3 weeks. But, you shouldn't have any major problems. There is a health clinic up there if you are having a problem.

They refurbished one of the Yavapai's. But I don't remember if it's East or West. Anyway, whichever one they didn't refurbish is quite outdated. But, hey, how much time are you gonna spend in your room anyway? And just a little trade secret, they always hold some rooms back to sell on day of arrival. So, if you want to stay in a nicer place like The El Tovar or Bright Angel, go to the Front Desk on your day of arrival and see if they have had any "cancellations". If so, they can transfer your deposit over to the new room and you'll be set up with a nicer room. But, you didn't hear that from me.

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,175 Reviews
Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Lodge
2,659 Reviews
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...