We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

touring around Las Vegas

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
touring around Las Vegas

Planning family (children 12 and 10) holiday next year.

Flying to LasVegas, then maybe onto Bar 10 ranch (see separate post) then picking up car so need to decide where to tour.

Revisit Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley.???- need to cut down stops to make the most of each.

Grateful for any ideas/recommendations what memorable things we can do with children in different places.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Hi

How long do you have for your tour once you leave Las Vegas?

I can think of tons of stuff the kids, and indeed the whole family, will enjoy, but without knowing the time available it's difficult knowing where to send you all.

Tony

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Grateful for any recommendations.

Planningto be in the States for 10-14 days

itinerary we have started with is

Las Vegas: 2 night

Zion National Park : 2 nights

Bryce Canyon : 2 nights

Lake Powell : 2 nights

Monument Valley : 1 night

Grand Canyon: 2 nights

Las Vegas: 3 nights

My concern is we are trying to pack in too much and maybe for the children too much of the same: I think they will be more excited about activities rather than views.

We are looking into using the Bar 10 ranch for the base for a few days rafting and ranching but have seen no reviews good or bad. We fly from Las Vegas out to the ranch spend the first night there and then 3 days 2 nights rafting before going back to Las Vegas. Maybe best to do at end of holiday when we have recovered from jet lag!

Would you recommend us staying longer at any of the above and thus cutting out some of the other stops.

Getting really confused about travelling time between various locations never mind the states they are in so any suggestions as to best order to travel would be useful!!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Hi

Here's one idea for you. I've taken a few liberties, omitted one or two things, to try and make the trip as interesting as possible for the kids, seeing as they may tire of yet more scenic views, and indeed for the grown ups.

Day 1: Arrive in Las Vegas and overnight.

Day 2: Leave Las Vegas on US93/95 (Jet lag! What's that then?) and head for the Hoover Dam and take scenic NV166 and scenic NV167 alongside, sort of, Lake Mead to scenic NV40 and enter beautiful Valley of Fire State Park (www.parks.nv.gov). The kids should like the Petroglyph Trail to Mouse's Tank, and set them the task of finding out just who Mouse was. Continue through the park to I-15, scenic through the spectacular Virgin River Gorge, and head for Utah. Scenic UT9 will bring you to Springdale, in a marvellous setting, and make this your base for two nights. www.utahsdixie.com for help with lodgings.

Day 3: In majestic Zion Nat Park. Plenty of trails to keep the kids active. They should love the Weeping Rock and the Riverside Trail to The Narrows.

Day 4: Leave Springdale on scenic UT9, through the Zion Tunnel, what a drive, to US89 and head south. Just north of Kanab you'll find Moqui Cave (wwwmoquicave.com). A small cave with an interesting history, and the kids may like to see the dinosaur footprints. From Kanab take scenic US89alt, past the Vermilion Cliffs Nat Mon, to cross the Colorado on the Navajo Bridge at stunning Marble Canyon. Another good place to stretch your legs. Pick up US89 and head to Page for one night. www.powellguide.com for lodgings.

Day 5: Leave Page on AZ98 and visit Antelope Canyon (navajonationparks.org/htm/antelopecanyon.htm). Great slot canyon. Continue to US160, head northish, then scenic US163 will bring you to Monument Valley. There is, literally, only one place to stay at Monument Valley, Goulding's Lodge (www.gouldings.com). To enjoy a meal in the restaurant and watch the sun set on Monument Valley is amazing. Two nights at the lodge, but before you settle down at Goulding's Lodge continue on scenic US163 into Utah, and stop at mile marker 13 and look back, for one of the most iconic images of the Southwest.

Day 6: An all day tour of the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park with your own Navajo guide, highly recommended. An amazing experience, great fun and inspirational.

Day 7: Head back on scenic US163 to US160. Head north, then south on scenic US191 to Chinle. A reasonably early start will give you time for a half day tour of one of the Southwest's best kept secrets, beautiful Canyon de Chelly Nat Mon, once again with a Navajo guide, and again highly recommended. One night in Chinle. The Thunderbird Lodge (www.tbirdlodge.com) is pretty good, and you can arrange tours of the canyon from there.

Day 8: Continue south on US191 to I-40, checking out Hubbell Trading Post Nat Hist Site, near Ganado, on the way. Head west on I-40 and at exit 311enter Petrified Forest Nat Park. Plenty of trails once again, and some great views of the Painted Desert in the north of the park. Continue through the park to US180 and head for Holbrook. The kids may enjoy a night at the Wigwam Motel (www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/), for a chance to sleep in a wigwam.

Day 9: Take I-40 and head towards Flagstaff, and at exit 204 leave and visit Walnut Canyon Nat Mon for a chance to get up close with cliff dwellings. Continue towards Flagstaff and then take US89, north, and turn off on to the scenic loop road to Sunset Crater Volcano Nat Mon, so the kids can clamber around amongst the lava flows, and Wupatki Nat Mon, an ancient native American pueblo, before rejoining US89 and heading to Flagstaff (www.flagstaffarizona.org) for the night.

Day 10: Continue west on I-40, visit the old Route 66 town of Williams, and at exit 123 turn off to another old Route 66 town of Seligman. Now take AZ66 (Historic Route 66) and head for Kingman, checking out the Grand Canyon Caverns (www.gccaverns.com), near Peach Springs, on the way. Overnight in Kingman (www.kingmantourism.org).

Day 11: West again on I-40 and at exit 44 turn off onto CoRd10, Historic Route 66 again, over scenic Sitgreaves Pass, a great drive, to the old mining town of Oatman (www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/oatman.html). Now the kids can get to feed the 'wild' burros, and see a gunfight in the main (only!) street. Continue on CoRd10, then CoRd153, AZ95, NV163 and US93 will return you to Las Vegas.

Days 12-14 at Bar 10 and returning to Las Vegas.

www.nps.gov will give you information on all National Parks and Monuments, and don't forget to purchase a National Parks Pass if you intend to visit several, it will save you money.

As I said I've taken a few liberties, and attempted to make your trip as varied as possible, and not too 'samey'. "Not another canyon/hole in the ground". Feel free to use any of the advice I've given you, and adapt it to what you want to do, and if you have any further questions, ask away.

Tony

tony.grant2@ntlworld.com

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: touring around Las Vegas

what a brilliant reply

Thanks for the time and thought you have taken

It will take a while to get through your suggestions:

the idea of a native american guide is brill as is sleeping in a wigwam

thanks again

Calistoga...
Level Contributor
543 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Grand Canyon is the most amazing of all of these, in my opinion. It is one of the Seven Wonders of the world. Please make sure you spend enough time there to explore it fully. Your kids are at a perfect age to enjoy this once in a life-time experience.

The Grand Canyon is far from the rather crude and ill-informed assessment some use called "hole in the ground"--a phrase that makes me cringe! It is essentially a mirror for history (geology, culture, etc.) in every layer, every step. Nothing like it in the world. The free park ranger tours are fantastic, as are the various hikes that range from easy to difficult.

Remember that "more" does not always equal better. People often confuse the two.

Hope you have a fantastic time.

Western PA
Level Contributor
720 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Tony provides such great suggestions - how can one resist his intineraries? Amazing details for someone who doesn't even live on the same continent.

One consideration I would offer up - instead of traveling back around to Bar 10 - what about replacing that with a few days at the South Rim? harpies did want to revist the Canyon in addition to Bar 10 - but the itinerary is rather full - so perhaps do a 1-day raft trip from Page while passing through there, then fit the South Rim in before heading back west to Williams etc.

The children might enjoy doing some of the Jr. Ranger Program activities while at the South Rim, as well as hiking down into the canyon a bit. It really seems that it would be a shame to miss the South Rim while so close.

Sounds like a fabulous trip!

T2E

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Tonys suggestions right on the money,details couldn't be better

but

I don't know how he left Bryce Canyon out. After leaving Zion I would definitely make a visit to Bryce even if a short one.I am sure you can make up the time elsewhere .Bryce is AWESOME.If you are to stay at the Wigwam motel in Holbrook make sure u dine at Joe & aggies FABULOUS home made food,plentiful and very reasonable priced.Was here past Sep and did most of what Tony suggested.

Was a fabulous trip.......... Nothing like the WEST......

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Just want to make sure that you know that Bar10 ranch isn't in Grand Canyon National Park. With Tony's route, you will circle the canyon without ever visiting it on either the north or south rim. Only checking since you did post on the GCNP forum.

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: touring around Las Vegas

just to let you know returned from trip and all worked fantistically out

thanks particularly to fatbald and mcgaven!

in the end went Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, South rim, Las Vegas Bar 10 for 3 day rafting trip (please no discussion about whether rafting technically in Grand Canyon- was still wonderful!!)

thanks for your time

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12479-Family_t…

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: touring around Las Vegas

Harpies,

I am just now reading your trip (Go List) and this is my dream

trip one day! It sounds like you & your family had a fabulous time

and saw much of our glorious west. Don't worry what others think

about your rafting, etc. You enjoyed it and that's what counts.

Everyone has different likes. I hope you will come back to the

USA some day and visit the South. We're a friendly bunch and

have great food!

Enjoy your summer!