We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route 66

England
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
route 66

We are in the process of planning a Route 66 road trip. Can anyone suggest when is the best time of year to go and how long it will take as we only have a maximum of three weeks including flights there and back? Also can anyone suggest an itinerary?

Thank you

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: route 66

Hi

Are you intending on driving the entire length of 'The Mother Road', or just those sections remaining in the Southwest, in three weeks?

Let me know and I can certainly give you some information on the original parts of Route 66 remaining in Arizona and California.

Tony

England
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: route 66

Hi Tony,

Yes, we were intending on driving from LA to NY in 3 weeks, via the Route 66, seeing the main attractions. However, do you think that this will be enough time? What would you recommend seeing? Also, do you have any idea on the best time of year to go?

Thank you.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route 66

Well for best time of year I'd say slightly off shoulder season say late May/June or into early Sept-Oct less traffic as far as the GC and surrounding areas go.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route 66

leia2006, have you seen the animated movie 'Cars" yet? If you have an affection for Route 66 you will love the movie. Route 66 in Arizona is an old rambling highway through many small towns and long stretches of desert...make sure you take the time to leave the 'Mother Road' and see some of the sights along the way most especially the Grand Canyon. If you are tired of driving, take the time to ride the old railroad out of Williams AZ right up to the canyon's edge.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: route 66

Hi again

Strictly speaking Route 66 runs from Chicago to Los Angeles and should be driven in that direction, but who cares, nobody from the UK needs any excuse to 'hit the road' in the USA, particularly in the Southwest. A driving pleasure.

Yes three weeks should give you ample time to complete the journey. Best time to go? I'd suggest either May or September. The weather should be fine and you'll avoid the worst of the crowds.

Some ideas for you.

CALIFORNIA. Leave Los Angeles on I-10, then take I-15 to Barstow. A few miles east of Barstow, off I-15, is the 'ghost town' of Calico (www.calicotown.com). Leave Barstow on I-40 and after about 10 miles turn off to Daggett and head for Newberry Springs and Ludlow. This is old Route 66. From Ludlow continue to Amboy, checking out the Amboy Crater, and Essex. This is the Old National Trail Highway, Route 66 again. Beyond Essex make a left to Fenner and Goffs, check out the Old Schoolhouse, then take US95 back to I-40 and head for Arizona.

ARIZONA. Leave I-40 at exit 1 onto scenic CoRd10, Historic Route 66 again, to the old mining town of Oatman (www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/oatman.html). Continue on CoRd10 over scenic Sitgreaves Pass, a great drive, to the old Route 66 town of Kingman (www.kingmantourism.org). Leave Kingman on AZ66, Route 66 again, surprise, surprise. Near Peach Springs you'll find the Grand Canyon Caverns (www.gccaverns.com). Continue to the old Route 66 town of Seligman (www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66seligman.htm). Rejoin I-40 and head for Williams and then take AZ64 to Grand Canyon Nat Park. www.xanterra.com for lodgings in the park. Leave the park on scenic AZ64, Desert View Drive, to US89 and turn north and almost immediately hit Cameron Trading Post (www.camerontradingpost.com), great trading post, excellent restaurant. Head south on US89 towards Flagstaff, taking the scenic loop road to Wupatki Nat Mon and Sunset Crater Volcano Nat Mon. From Flagstaff head east on I-40. Visit Walnut Canyon Nat Mon, exit 204, and the Meteor Crater (www.meteorcrater.com), exit 233, before arriving in Holbrook. If you want to stay in the area check out the Wigwam Motel (www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/). From Holbrook take US180 then turn off and take the scenic road through Petrified Forest Nat Park, some great views of the Painted Desert in the north of the park, before rejoining I-40. Continue heading east then at exit 339 take US191, then AZ61 to enter New Mexico.

NEW MEXICO. AZ61 becomes NM53 and continue heading east. Check out El Morro Nat Mon and El Malpais Nat Mon, for a chance to climb a volcano and see an ice cave (www.icecaves.com), before rejoining I-40 at Grants. Continue east and at exit 96 take Indian Route 38 to Acoma Pueblo (Sky City), well worth a visit. Back to I-40 and head for Albuquerque. At exit 155 take NM448 and visit Indian Petroglyph Nat Mon.

From here on in your on your own, I've never driven any further east, but basically your making for Amarillo, feel free to sing the song, Texas. I'm sure you'll get more advice from the other forums, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri etc.

www.nps.gov will give you information on all National Parks and Monuments and you'll definitely find www.historic66.com useful.

Drive carefully and have a great trip.

Tony

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: route 66

Hi Tony,

Wow you are a wealth of information!!! Can I pick your brains?!

My parents want to do Oklahoma City to Branson, Missouri via Route 66 then drive to Nashville then to Atlanta.... Can you give me some ideas on this area? Or suggest better? What is a good timeframe? If you are unable to help can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much and sorry Leia for hijacking your post!

Reet xx

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: route 66

Hi Reet

We haven't heard from Tony lately so I guess his work is keeping him busy.Longest existing sections of R66 are in Arizona and California. I am more or less familiar with these stretches and some of them in Texas and Oklahoma, but not from Oklahoma to Missouri. Maybe put your question to the Oklahoma and Missouri forums.

Tet

RI
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: route 66

I am heading off on a last minute trip driving from San Diego to R.I. Don't have much time but would like to hit some of 66. Any suggestions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: route 66

I would suggest you post a new question rather than usingthis old thread. And perhaps put it in the AZ forum rather than GC

Ilkeston, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: route 66

Hi Leia

I hope you don't mind me contacting you. I'm also considering a Route 66 trip but i'm very much still in the researching and saving up stage.

I wondered how far you had got planning it or even if you've been already?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Louise