We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Hello. Can anyone recommend inexpensive lodgings ($100 / night) in the Tusayan region for mid-May? We are hiking down into Havasupai and camping two nights, May 18 & 19th. We need accomodations as close to Havasupai trail head as possible, due to a very early a.m. start.

Thank you for any recommendations!

Bonnie

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Tusayan is just outside GCNP about 10 miles from the rim on Hwy 64 north of Williams. That would be about 3-4 hours from the Hualapai trailhead down to Havasupai. The Havasupai trailhead is not in GCNP but rather on the private lands of the Havasupai west of GCNP. Williams would be an hour closer, and probably cheaper. All the hotels in Tusayan and Williams as well as rates can be accessed right here in TA.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Hello ................. I didn't see anywhere to respond to the post from BOBBEAR43, so I am doing it here in my own post, in the hope that he will see it.

I am aware that the Havasupai lands are not in the Natl' Park, and that the trailhead is elsewhere, but I do not have information as to exactly where it is. Where is the closest town with any significant selection of hotels closest to the Havasupai trailhead? I think I read somewhere that that would be Kingman ...... but that seems very far away! I am awaiting our reservation / confirmation for the campsites @ Havasupai, but I am NOT counting on it to be very informative. I was hoping that it will have a detailed map of where the trailhead begins and suggestions of where we could stay.

Anyone who reads this who knows where the closest accomodations to the Havasupai trailhead is, I would GREATLY appreciate the information.

Thank you so much.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

That is how you respond to someone's post .... putting a new entrry in your post.

The closest large town to your hike is Kingman. The information about the trailhead is on the site of the Havasupai Tribe:

www.havasupaitribe.com/gettingthere.html

If you do an internet search for "havasupai trail" you will find some sites with photos and other information.

Kingman Hotels (some are not in Kingman but that is noted):

kingmantourism.org/accommodations/hotels-mot…

Information about Seligman, another nearby town, including lodging:

http://www.seligmanarizona.org/

The closest accommodations would be the Grand Canyon Lodge of the Hualapai Tribe:

www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/lodge.html

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Thank you very much bobbear43. You have provided me with plenty of useful information here, and I appreciate it.

Have you ever done the hike down to the Havasupai village? I understand it is 10 miles total from the beginning of the trail to the actual campgrounds.

Bonnie

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
218 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Lionluv

We hiked to Supai last October. The closest place to stay is the Hualapai lodge in Peach Springs, AZ. Their website is:www.destinationgrandcanyon.com and their phone number is 927-769-2230. I'm copying a post I did last week at the end of this paragraph. You can post back if you have questions.

1/26/07 post:

We did about the same trip this past October except for the Sky walk (which wan't open then.) Realize that you will be on Indian land and will be dealing with 2 tribes: Hualapai and Havasupi. The Hualapai are around Peach Springs and have the Sky walk. They have a lodge at Peach Springs. You can seach on the internet for their web site and phone number. The lodge is fairly new and has a decent restaurant. Ask for a room in the front of the lodge. There is a very busy train track immediately behind the lodge. They actually have free earplugs at the front desk because of the train noise. They are not very efficient in cutomer service. I was transferred 9 times when I made my reservations and they still screwed up. Make sure you confirm the reservation.

If you go to Supai (Havasu falls) you can stay in the lodge there or camp in the campground. You can find info at their web site: www.havasupaitribe.com. The lodge is not fancy but is very comfortable. Again VERIFY any reservation there. Call the day before you go down to Supai. There is a restaurant and store in the village.

To get from Peach Springs to Supai you take a scenic 60 mile drive on good payment to the Hualapai Hilltop parking lot. You can then hike 8 miles down to the village or take a horse or helicopter. The hike is very scenic. You can arrange for horses to take your luggage or camping gear down. Make arrangements for horses and helicopter ahead of time.

Havasu falls is a 2 mile hike down from the village. The campground is just past the falls. Mooney falls is about 1 mile further down past Havasu. You can hike down past Mooney, but it is a climb down the face of a 200 foot clift. There are 2 tunnels, steps and chains on the clift face, and 2 ladders attached to the clift to get to the bottom. It is actually easier than it sounds if you just take you time.

The canyon is beautiful but the indians have trashed it. They are also very unfriendly. They want your money, but they really don't want you on their land. I don't want to be too negative, but just let you know what you are getting into. I would go there again, but I know what to expect. I hope this helps. Post again if you need more info.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Hi jmf4, and thanks so much for the info. I have actually visited the www.havasupaitribe.com web-site many times, (and another VERY helpful site - www.havasufalls.net) but it is NOT like hearing from someone who has been there! I appreciate your recommendations / info. I was a little concerned about how far (mostly in terms of how much time it will take) to drive from the Haulapai Lodge to the beginning of the trailhead. We are reserved for a campsite May 18 & 19, and we do not want to be on the trail in the mid-afternoon heat for too long.

Did you hike back out of the canyon floor / village, or did you take a helicopter? I arranged our camping days for a Friday & Saturday because I was advised about the helicopter schedule. I don't think we will have too much trouble with the hike down (not that it won't be tiring), but I do not think that 2 of the people in our group can hike back out!

Is there basically only one company that will fly you out of the Havasupai village to the top of the canyon?

Anyone heard of any problems with "break - ins" of cars parked at the hilltop trailhead? We will have lots of other gear in the trunk of our car because we will be on a 2 week trip.

Thank you also for sharing what you encountered in the village/reservation itself. I have visited many native American villages in the past 20 years, and I know exactly what you mean. There is definitely some resentment there towards outsiders, and in some ways I can understand why. The reservation and native peoples need the money, but probably resent having their lives invaded. I would feel the same way about allowing strangers walking around in my back yard and staring at me!

Is the campground and the area around the falls and scenic trails littered with debris and "trashed"? If so, maybe I should re-think going down there, as that disturbs the "mental picture" I have of the scenic beauty of the area. The whole reason we want to hike down there in the first place is to see the beauty of the canyon, the blue-green water, the falls, etc. If we are going to see trash all over the place (outside of the village), then I am not really interested in spending that much time and effort getting down there!

One last question for now. Are there plenty of beverages (water, soda, etc.) and non-perishable food to be had for purchase @ the general store in the village? We will be packing in some MRE's and other items, but of course want to carry as little as possible.

Thank you VERY much!

Bonnie

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
218 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Lionluv (Bonnie?)

Hello again. I'll try to answer everything from your last post. Hope this info helps.

The Hualapai parking lot (starting point for the hike to Supai) is at the end of highway 18. It is about 60 miles from Peach Springs and the highway is in very good condition. I didn't time it from Hualapai lodge, but it shouldn't be more than 1 hour from the lodge. The hike to Supai shouldn't take more than 4 hours (5 to the campground).

We rode horses out of Supai and enjoyed the ride. We had a very good guide named Lealand (sp?). He was raised outside of the reservation and has only lived in Supai for 7 years. He was the friendliest Indian that we dealt with. He made the trip out a lot of fun. I can't answer much about the helicopters except that we met a couple waiting in line at 7 AM for the flight out and they were still in line when we came back by at 2 PM. The Indians kept moving in front of them (they have priority to fly out). You can hire horses to take your luggage and supplies out if you are concerned about the hike out.

We were also concerned about leaving luggage in our car. We actually stored it at the Hualapai Lodge. They have a locked closet and it worked out well for us. We tipped them $10 for storing it. There is supposed to be a guard at the Hualapai Hilltop parking lot at all times. I don't know how effective this is or if break ins or a problem.

The campground and falls are clean. The trash is just around the village. There are plenty of supplies in the village - they just charge a lot for them.

You can E Mail me directly at jmf4@yahoo.com if you want or post again here.

John

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Hello again jmf4, and thanks again for your reply / help. May I ask approx. what you paid p. person for the mule trip out of Supai village? Did you get terribly "saddle sore"? About how long does this take in hours? Did you arrange it directly through the Havasupai tribe? My husband is VERY apprehensive about hiking OUT ......................... he is going to be 60 years old, and although he is in good shape I also think we should either ride out on a mule or helicopter out.

I have checked out the Halaupi (?) Lodge, and leaving our extra luggage behind there sounds like a good idea.

Thank you again!

Bonnie

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Taking the helicopter out of Havusupai is an "iffy" proposition. The native village residents have priority on every flight. Reports here in TA are that visitors often wait may hours before they can board.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Least expensive lodgings @ Tusayan / May?

Hi bobbear43; thanks for your input. I have read (on www.havasufalls.net) about the helicopter information. They comment in there that the locals have priority in the helicopter trips and always go to the front of the line no matter how long you have been standing there. Our group of 4 is very diverse in age and physical abilities - youngest two are 22 & 23, and my husband and I are 59 & 48, respectively. Believe it or not, the youngest one is the one we have the greatest concern for, and she does not think she can ride the mule ...................... oh, well ................... we will figure it our or maybe make other plans.

Anyone out there who has riden the mules out of the canyon who can tell me approx. how many hours it takes AND, did you get very saddle sore?!

Thank you.

Bonnie