We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone in Sept 07

Shelby County, AL
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone in Sept 07

My wife and I are headed out for a week in September.

What are the "don't miss" sights & eats?

How much time should we alot for what attractions?

Where should we stay?

Any specific information will be greatly appreciated.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone in Sept 07

For the Tetons, I would make Jackson my base, and for Yellowstone, I would choose W. Yellowstone, MT. Both provide easy park accessibility. Both towns have many motels/hotels. W Yellowstone is budget minded, yet Jackson has a mixture of high end and lower end. We visited the area 10 years ago and enjoyed the Buckrail Lodge in Jackson (budget minded) and the Lazy G in W Yellowstone (very budget minded). The rates typically go down after Labor Day, so you have chosen a great time.

Jackson has many more restaurants and bars. We liked Bubba's Barbeque. Good food reasonably priced. We didn't find as many restaurants to our liking in W Yellowstone, though others on the forums have, so I would take a look at the current reviews.

I would allot 2 days for the Tetons and 5 days in Yellowstone. In Yellowstone, we spent each day checking out the main points in the park, (i.e. Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful, Norris Geyser Basin, West Thumb Geyser Basin, Tower Fall, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (my personal favorite), mud pots, and anything else we saw interesting). The drives are slow so you can enjoy the abundant wildlife.

You will love these parks! Have a great trip. September is a beautiful time to visit.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone in Sept 07

We visited for the first time in Sept '06 and you've picked the perfect time to go - absolutely georgous, if a little chilly in the evenings.

For restaurants, I agree Bubba's in Jackson is a must - it was recommended to us on our first afternoon in town by a gentleman staying in our hotel, and while we had our doubts at first (he'd had a few afternoon cocktails), we weren't disappointed - in fact, we ate there once a day during our entire stay. Delicious food, HUGE portions and very reasonably priced - I highly recommend the beef brisket. It was so good, in fact, we were unable to eat barbeque anywhere else during our cross-country-and-back trip, including in the "famous" barbeque cities, like Memphis and St. Louis - nothing came close. I call Bubba's occasionally and they ship their bottled sauce to me in Pennsylvania.

The only other eatery that left an impression is The Bunnery, a bakery/restaurant in the middle of town (Jackson). The place was packed (always a good sign) and we had a terrific breakfast - a bit gourmet & eclectic, but absolutely delicious and inexpensive.

As far as in Yellowstone, we had only one meal in the park, at the restaurant adjacent to the Mammoth Springs Hotel. It was good, but nothing to write home about.

Have a great trip!

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
475 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone in Sept 07

Overall, the food in Yellowstone National Park is "nothing to write home about". It's O.K. - but you're really there to see the park and not to sit in restaurants. The Lake Lodge is probably the best, and Old Faithful Inn has a lot of character, but...

Our favorites in Jackson are the Merry Piglets (Mexican) and the Mangy Moose (burgers and beers). Snake River Brewing is O.K. - but I thought it was expensive for what you got.

Second the Bunnery for breakfast.

Have a wonderful trip!

4. Re: Yellowstone in Sept 07

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...