We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear spray and other questions

California
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bear spray and other questions

Hi there. We've decided to fly into Salt Lake City and drive up to Colter bay in July. Any recommendations on where is the best place to buy bear spray in Jackson or before?

On the last day we'll have a couple of hours in GTP for a final short hike. Hopefully will already have done Jenny Lake hike, walked around Colter Bay, driven Signal mountain Drive, seen Oxbow bend earlier in the trip. Any suggestions on a final short easy hike, were thinking of Leigh Lake, Swan Lake or String Lake?

We're planning on taking six hours from SLC to Jackson with stops and lunch. Realistic?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear spray and other questions

Not a hike but you should check out the Mormon Barns. Very pretty area and good photo opportunity. They're about a mile north of the airport on Antelope Flats road.

Here's a link to a picture. The next 4 or 5 are better ones.

alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_2007/grand_t…

Can't help on the hikes.

Alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear spray and other questions

one of my favorite short hikes is phelps lake. it's just south of gtnp on the backroad to teton village from moose junction. beautiful overlook at the top of phelps lake & not a hard hike down & back to the lake itself.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear spray and other questions

Hi Lorenky,

I did not want to review all your other posts, but will ask this question: have you been, or will you be trained in, the proper, i.e., potentially lifesaving, use of real bear spray? If you have to use it, and miss, uuuhhhhh... It's like carrying a gun, and if you don't know how to use it... all bets are off.

Hiking in groups is a safer bet, IMO.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear spray and other questions

What voyager said is true..it is best to hike in numbers. Some trails are more risky for bears than others, ie backcountry trails,etc.

That said, regarding bear spray, my philosophy is better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it .

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear spray and other questions

Good point, pozi. But, aim well and pray, you don't want to miss and make the bear angrier. Oh, by then, it might be too late... Very seriously, though, hike with others and ask the rangers about which trails to avoid.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear spray and other questions

Yeah, if its a grizzly all he'll think about is having you for dinner. If you have no spray its all over. If you do have spray (and it's within reach, well, you may have a chance. Better some chance than no chance!

A black bear is more apt to run for the hills, or if he's hungry, search your backpack for food.

But then again I'm no bear expert!

Utah
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear spray and other questions

There is a Cabelas in Lehi, Ut (about 25 minutes south of the Salt Lake Airport) where you can buy bear spray. Also in Salt Lake there is a place called Sportsmans Warehouse where I would imagine they sale bear spray.

California
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bear spray and other questions

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know there was some controversy about carrying bear spray, alot of people have recommended carrying it. No, I'm not trained in it's use, I have carried small pepper spray for personal safety and know some basics(aim high, not into the wind, etc), but have never hiked in grizzly country before. Not worried at all about black bears, are used to those and they don't want to eat you! It will just be me and my husband, so we don't have a group. Are not doing major hiking into the back country, in the Tetons we'll do Jenny Lake to Inspiration Point and a bit beyond, walk around Colter Bay, and maybe the third short hike (maybe Leigh Lake)I was asking about. In Yellowstone we'll be doing the very popular short trails but probably not real hiking with the possible exception of Mt Washburn. Short hikes around Lake Yellowstone area, the short trails around Canyon, the Lower Terraces at Mammoth, etc. I'm not figuring we'll be at real risk with those hikes but my understanding is the bears can be anywhere. I figured if the bear is close enough to use the bear spray we're in real trouble anyway so better to have something than nothing, but perhaps I'm wrong? If I do buy it, I can get it in Jackson, correct?

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
255 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bear spray and other questions

One of the reasons people beleive the odds of being attacked in a group are lower is because groups of people are louder. Make sure to make some loud sounds when you are hiking(not bear bells). The bears will usually hear you and move out of the way.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bear spray and other questions

Yes, something is better than nothing.Hopefully soembody will tell you where to get it in Jackson.