We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day hikes...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best day hikes...

Hey everyone...I will be in Grand Teton National Park this summer (my third visit to the park) from August 5-7. During my time at Grand Teton NP, I have mainly driven throughout the park & have only had time to do the hike around Jenny Lake to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. However, this year will be much later (not as much snow on trails) and we'll also have more time. On the 5th I may about 1/2 day to hike in the park, on the 6th I will have the entire day, and on the 7th I will have about 1/2 day to hike. For the 1/2 days, I would like to do hikes of generally moderate difficulty and with a roundtrip distance of approximately 4-6 miles. For the full day, I would like to do a moderate-to-strenuous hike of 8-14 miles. I am not very familiar with the hikes in the park other than certain names (Lake Solitude, Amphitheater Lake, Leigh Lake, Cascade Canyon). Could anyone please recommend some of the best hikes in the park for half-to-full day hiking? I have quite awhile to figure out what to do, but I figured I would go ahead and get started.

Thanks,

Sean

String Lake
National Parks, Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water
Leigh Lake
National Parks, Hiking Trails, Valleys, Bodies of Water
Amphitheater Lake
National Parks, Hiking Trails, Valleys, Bodies of Water
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day hikes...

We will be in GTNP just a few days before you. We will probably only have time for one full day hike and that will most likely be Cascade Canyon up to but not further than Paintbrush Divide. I hear it is spectacular.

I will be anxious to hear of others. I am sure you will get plenty of responses.

pozj

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day hikes...

Thanks pozj! I'm thinking some sort of hike involving Cascade Canyon is probably the best as well. I'm thinking maybe Lake Solitude, but I'll need to think about it. Have you ever been to the Tetons before? If not, make sure you check out Oxbow Bend in the morning and also check out Mormon Row. Those are two of my favorite places in the park accessible by vehicle.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day hikes...

Hi Sean,

We are planning to hike Cascade Canyon to Lake Solitude. We have been making a list of all the "must photograph" spots, including Oxbow bend, etc.

This will be our first visit to the park, but we have friends who have recommended hikes, as well as lots of great advice

As far as hikes, I also read about Rockerfeller's Picnic Hill trail near Jackson Lake Lodge. My husband bought a book called Hiking Grand Teton Natiuonal Park by Bill Schneider. He has gotten a lot of good info from this book.

Also, if you get the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps (you can get them at book stores or EMS, etc) these maps really give great detail of trails, elevations, etc. It's lightly laminated so it should last a good long time.

I just bought new hiking boots so I am walking around the house in them breaking them in and ready to go..can't wait!!

pozj

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day hikes...

Sean, I've been wondering where you were hiding out :-)

We just got back from a fantastic visit to Yellowstone, 150 miles on snowmobiles through the park. Absolutely amazing experience.

Anyway we came in from the south so we could enjoy the Tetons,,,couldn't cause it was cloudy and snowy. Oh well. But I picked up a book of hikes and examined the relief map at the visitors center for our own next time there.

Cascade canyon was the first on my list of options. It shouldn't be too hard for you. It is 9.8 miles round trip to the trail junction if you take the boat across the lake. You can therefore make it longer by walking around the lake (4 miles RT). You can also continue on to Lake Solitude around another 3 miles further (6 RT). The elevation change isn't bad once you get into the canyon. Going further on up to Lake Solitude though would add some elevation though I can't say how much.

The other canyons looked nice, but I liked the long views of Cascade.

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day hikes...

cascade canyon is a great hike & just a continuation of inspiration point/hidden falls. you can go as far as you like up the canyon & at a certain point there is a creek where two moose always hang out. we sat there one day just watching them & eating lunch. if you hike to where the trail splits & back down it's about 7-8 miles & not too strenuous.

another hike i love is phelps lake. nice pull up to the overlook & then it will make you want to hike down to the shoreline & get wet. it's a nice workout with plenty of traffice. there are other options on this trail to make it longer but to the lake & back out is probably 6 miles.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best day hikes...

Thanks KJ & ptguard! Yeah, I've been kind of hiding for awhile with school and not knowing what was going on this summer, but now I'm trying to figure out what we'll do. Those pictures you posted on the NationalParksChat.com site were really awesome, again! As you both have hinted, Cascade does look like a great choice. I have hiked to Ispiration Point but no further because the trail beyond was blocked by an avalanche when I was there. I am fairly certain we will go for a hike up Cascade Canyon on our full day. We'll at least go to the trail split, but I'm hoping to make it all the way to Solitude. It sounds beautiful! The other hikes I'm considering for the full day are Surprise/Amphitheater Lakes and Paintbrush Canyon/Holly Lake. Cascade certainly sounds like a great choice, though.

Thanks also for the suggestion about Phelps Lake, ptguard! I didn't really think too much about Phelps as an option, but I'll definitely look at it more. And I really hope to see some moose in Cascade Canyon! I have actually seen considerably more moose in RMNP in Colorado than in the Tetons.

Thank you both so much, once again, for the advice!

Sean

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best day hikes...

We will also be in GTNP in August...a few days before you and are thinking about hiking to Cascade Canyon.

Someone posted the distance at 9.8 miles to Cascade Canyon, once around the lake. Does anyone know about how long the hike takes? (I realize there are a lot of variables.) We will be hiking with our kids who are 13 and 11.

Thanks!

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best day hikes...

i can't remember exactly but here is a good link that gives all the details with pics.

…deanza.edu/donahuemary/CascadeCanyon,GrandT…

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best day hikes...

ptguard10,

That is an awesome website with great info for anyone intending to hike in the Tetons or anywhere, really.

Thanks for posting it!

pozj

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best day hikes...

Thanks ptguard10...great website!

Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...