We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

Hi! We will be staying in Jackson Hole 7/19-7/24. What activities do you suggest for children (ages 4-9)? Also, can you please recommend any "must see" and fun family activities? Thanks.

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

a few thoughts...

the teton county fair will be going during that time. your kids will love it. also, the rodeo is on wed & sat nights but i'm not sure if it runs during fair week.

also, the evening shootout is entertaining on the square. i think it's at 6 every evening.

visit teton village where there's usually lots to do in the summer. ride the new tram to the top of the mountain.

with their ages, whitewater rafting is probably out of the question but a float trip down the snake river would be great.

you might want to take them to one of the chuckwagon cookouts. there's one in jackson but also one north of town at moose junction at a place called dornans. it's right on the snake river looking right up at the tetons. they got great pizza & several shops there. after dinner just before dusk you can take the backroad from there back toward teton village & there's usually elk & possibly moose in that area late.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

Great ideas!!! Thank you. I'm going to look for the fair & rodeo websites.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

Hi? Does anyone have any more suggestions??

Thanks.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

You might consider a one, full day, drive into Yellowstone, at least to see Old Faithful, Hayden Valley wildlife. Do bring a cooler for beverages and snacks. It will be a full day!

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

The alpine slide at Snow King in Jackson is expensive at about $10 person/ride. But boy is it fun for all ages - even the adults! It is a favorite in our family. Also, at Colter Bay you can rent boats, and they also have 2 person lake kayaks. My 6 year old son loved paddling around the shores of Jackson Lake. I would also second the idea of Teton Village - kids will be wowed by the tram - and also maybe a bit nervous. The have a couple of other kids activities there as well. Jackson has a couple of cowboy cookouts that are said to be fun. A Snake River float trip is always a good time - if the weather looks goods, and usually you see wildlife. Also, if the weather is warm, spend some time splashing down at one of the lakes in the park, the water is chilly, but if the air is warm kids may not notice. Jackson has a stagecoach in townsquare you can take a short ride on, and they put on a nightly "shootout" in the square as well. If it is raining, the city also has a rec center with a nice pool.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

I would suggest the float trip down the Snake River and a chuckwagon dinner. That's what we're going to be doing with our kids while we're there. Have fun!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

Hey DisneyMom00 - we did the same thing(s), and we do not even had kids!!

Both are great suggestions!!

8. Re: jackson hole & surrounding w/ kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 07:17