We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red sunsets in Tetons.... Rare???

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Red sunsets in Tetons.... Rare???

Have been there many times and have talked to others, am i correct in saying that colorful sunsets are hard to come by? I know the sunrises are great. any comments

thanks

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red sunsets in Tetons.... Rare???

Sunset would be behind the peaks so sky color may be red but peaks would be dark against the bright sky. You could drive around to Driggs, ID and view from the other side at sunset and maybe get pink color on snow. When we lived near Mt. Rainier in Washington state we had a view of the mountain to the east of us and some evenings it looked like a giant scoop of strawberry icecream.

One factor about sunsets more so than sunrises is afternoon convection clouds (and storms) on summits in summer. Can often obscure the peaks at sunset. More so on Driggs side as clouds stack up there first. Red sunsets are more likely with dust and high pressure area just west of there and in summer south-central ID heats up and air rises making a "heat low" causing clouds to drift east to the mountains. So I suppose the red sunsets can be fairly rare.

2. Re: Red sunsets in Tetons.... Rare???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...