We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

Westwood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

Hi there

My mom and I are planning on travelling to either Grand Teton National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park for a few days in September.

We want to hike and see some wildlife, go on scenic drives etc.

Which would you say is the better park to go to??

Thanks!!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,353 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

They are both beautiful. Both scenic, both have lots of hikes.

We were in both areas last fall. Saw moose 5 times in the Tetons. Pronghorn, bison, bald eagle.... In the Rockies? the elk will be in rut at that time of year, so... there will be a ton of elk all over. Big horn sheep and moose in the Rockies, but we did not see any.

The Tetons scenic drives will be at the base of the mountains. The Rockies? you can drive over Trail Ridge Rd and be up on top of the mountains, over 12000 feet for miles. Absolutely gorgeous drive!

Wildlife? Tetons gets the nod (altho so many elk in one place at the Rockies is pretty awesome) Scenic drive? Rockies gets my vote.

Hiking? I don't hike. Did do a couple of short 1 mile "hikes" around the lakes in the Rockies which were beautiful.

You cannot go wrong either way. I hate to see anyone travel to the Tetons and bypass Yellowstone. TONS of wildlife there-- Perhaps the Rockies this time since it's a short trip? and take a week to spend in YNP and the Tetons another time?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,620 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

I have to agree with wings. If you just have a short time period then RMNP fits the bill. You need a week to do the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

Where is the OP traveling from? I think that might make a difference if it's only a couple days at either park. I might pick the easier travel option. Both places are worth it.

Westwood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

Great - thanks so much all!! That's really helpful...

We're flying in from NYC so I think Rocky Mountain is much easier to get to from here!! We'll go with that!

Looking so forward to it!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,353 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

you're going to love the area-- SO different from the eastern states :) (if you've not been) We're staying again, at the Woodlands on Fall River. About a mile from the Estes Park entrance to the park. VERY nice condos. Not sure if there's any availability for your dates, but I'd recommend it for a place to stay.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60945-d312346-…

The meadows will be full of elk in the evenings. (at least they were on the eastern side of the park last Sept) They're pretty awesome to see. HUGE animals. Nothing like our little white tailed deer. Keep your distance-- the bulls sharpen thier antlers and they can pierce a car door. They are interested in the females, of course, but do not go into the meadows where they are. There will be so many of them, you'll have no problem getting some great shots just from the side of the road.

Sprague Lake is not a "hike" but rather a level walk (about a mile) around the lake. It's quite beautiful, tho. The rocky peaks reflect in the water.

Have a great time! :)

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

We loved Rocky Mountain NP and thought it was very underrated when compared to some of the other parks out west. Here's our photo album from 2 years ago.

…google.com/Relayer51/…

Mount Evans Drive, just to the west of Denver, might be the best alpine road in North America.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33388-d14…

We stayed at the Saddle & Surrey Motel in Estes Park. One of the best mom and pop places we have experienced (and reasonably priced for the area).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60945-d472063-…

We enjoyed the Bear Lake Trail at RMNP. I wrote reviews on all the places listed, just have to go back to August, 2008.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g143048-d107…

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,353 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

I agree with relayer. Our visit to RMNP was at the end of a trip where we had just come from Yellowstone and the Tetons. People asked if we were disappointed in RMNP following immediately after the other 2 national parks. Not in the least! All were equally beautiful and different from each other. I was hoping to head up Mt Evans this year, but-- it closes Labor Day and I am heading out too late.

There's just nothing quite like Trail Ridge Rd imo. (and all those elk!) :) Definitely underrated, I agree.

8. Re: Grand Teton or Rocky Mountain??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 07:20