We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Teton/Yellowstone itinerary and lodging help

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Teton/Yellowstone itinerary and lodging help

Do you guys recommend any changes to the following itinerary? I'm planning to hit all the top ten sites shown here http://www.yellowstone.net/topten.htm except maybe Hayden Valley if I run out of time.

Also, I'm wondering if I split the nights in the lodgings right? Should I have less time in Roosevelt? If you recommend staying at a hotel closer to the airport on the first night since I arrive so late, any recommendations on a budget hotel?

June 9 - Flight Arrives 9 pm Jackson Hole, (lodging Colter Bay Cabin)

June 10 - Explore Grand Teton (lodging Colter Bay Cabin)

June 11 - Drive to Yellowstone and see old faithful area (Old Faithful budget cabin)

June 12 - Sight see on the top ten sites on the western half of the park including the Mammoth Hot Springs ( Roosevelt Roughrider Cabin)

June 13- Spend day in Lamar Valley looking for wildlife (Roosevelt Rough rider Cabin)

June 14-Drive back to Jackson Hole Airport stopping off at all the other top ten sites on the east side of park.

Should I only spend the 1st night June 9 at the Colter Bay cabin? I'm having a hard time thinking of anything to do at the Grand Tetons. My traveling companion is afraid of boats. Are the sights both landscape and wildlife better if I take a float on Snake River (would like to stay with traveling companion but don't want to miss out on something special)? We can only do easy to moderate hikes.

If I get rid of one night then I can take the loop Teton Bill recommended to me in this thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k44961… . Would it be worth it to do that instead by cutting out a night somewhere? I live in Oregon and have been to Utah and Arizona so I'm not sure if its worth the extra drive (though some of TetonBills pictures did look nice.

Thanks a lot.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 16:37
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Teton/Yellowstone itinerary and lodging help

Float trip is not scary and very scenic in my opinion. We did our trip with Barker Ewing.

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Teton/Yellowstone itinerary and lodging help

Forgot to mention, flight leaves at 6 pm on June 14.

My traveling companion is scared of every kind of boat so won't go with me on a float trip no matter what unfortunately. If I can see better things by boat than not then I'll go off on my own for a day. But if its not that much more interesting, I'd stick with her. Thanks.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Teton/Yellowstone itinerary and lodging help

The float trips are fun, and you do see animals and get a nice view, but you can see animals and get the same view elsewhere. If companionship is important, then imo, I'd stick with your friend.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Teton/Yellowstone itinerary and lodging help

I would suggest staying the first night at a budget hotel in Jackson Hole. The next day get up and head to Yellowstone. Do the trip as you planned and then drive back to the Tetons and spend your last night/day exploring Grand Teton National Park. That way, you are already close by the airport and you won't be rushed and all will be well with the world!

I love the Colter Bay cabins, I think that would be a nice choice for your last night.

I've traveled to the area 3 times. I've always flown in and spent the first night in GTNP and then the next day go up to YNP for the next 4-5 days. Then the last 2-3 nights, I spend back around the Tetons. That works for me.

I wouldn't suggest the trip to Cody if this is your first trip to the area. I would concentrate on YNP and the Teton area. You will find it will take much longer to see things you want in Yellowstione than anticipated, but don't miss time in Hayden Valley...it is one of the most peaceful sceneries you can gaze upon. Lamar Valley is beautiful as well, and don't miss eating some fried chicken at the restaurant at Roosevelt..mmmm, good.

5. Re: Grand Teton/Yellowstone itinerary and lodging help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 07:17