We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes?

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
95 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes?

My husband is a magnet for mosquitoes. Around August 8-10 we're staying in tent cabins at Colter Bay and doing a Snake River float trip (either early a.m. or late afternoon/sunset), as well as a couple of day hikes. What can we expect, mosquito-wise?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes?

Likely some mosquitoes and perhaps flies, but nothing like Florida (where I heard the mosquito is the state bird). I'd plan on using some spray and that will likely do the trick.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes?

We camped in YS and at Colter Bay CG late July/early Aug last summer. I'm also a bug magnet! I got 1 bite and we saw maybe 10 mosquitoes!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes?

It sounds like I own this product or something, but I don't LOL. Try treating your clothes ahead of time w/the new repellant out there which is good through several washings...google it- there are several brands out there. Wear long pants and sleeves - there are several light weight brands which you will be very comfortable in. If you are prepared, the only annoyance can be bites where you didn't cover w/deet or where your clothes weren't covered...and of course the sound and sight of the bugs. I've never been too bothered by skeeters in the park in the last 8 years - its when we go in the true backcountry where they can be a problem. Google the brands of clothing treatment - see what you come up with.

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes?

We just got back from Colter Bay last night (7/29/11) and I'm sorry to report

the mosquitoes were unbelievable. We live in Salt Lake which is about

4 hours from the Tetons so we've gone every year for about the last 20 years

in July/August. In all that time we have never encountered mosquitoes

or any biting bugs. Never. That's one of the reasons we like camping there.

This year because of all the rain and flooding it was awful. We breathed

mosquitoes. I had repellent on and they still swarmed all around and bit through clothes and anywhere you missed the repellent. I have bites in my ears, scalp, it was awful. People we met that live there said they've never seen mosquitoes until this year. People that camped in Yellowstone

said there were no mosquitoes up there but the Jackson Lake area is awful right now. We left early because our dog was covered in them. The

upside is that it's an amazing place to go, we love it. Just bathe in repellent

every morning before you go out. Maybe in a couple of weeks they'll have

died off a bit. Karol and Scott

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes?

Sounds like mosquitoes are bad in Jackson Lake area, OK in town of Jackson Hole since they can spray and hearing mixed reviews about how bad in Yellowstone. I'm considering changing where we are staying based on these reports since 2 in our party are very sensitive to m. bites and would probably have to live on antihistamines if we get too many. We were going to stay 1 night @ Signal Mt. Lodge, then 3 @ Frontier Cabins in Canyon in YNP . I'm thinking about West Yellowstone. So question is regarding basing self in WYS , I know you have to drive alot but I'm sure it's scenic but are you ever just sitting in a long line of cars just to get into the park?

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes?

Sounds like mosquitoes are bad in Jackson Lake area, OK in town of Jackson Hole since they can spray and hearing mixed reviews about how bad in Yellowstone. I'm considering changing where we are staying based on these reports since 2 in our party are very sensitive to m. bites and would probably have to live on antihistamines if we get too many. We were going to stay 1 night @ Signal Mt. Lodge, then 3 @ Frontier Cabins in Canyon in YNP . I'm thinking about West Yellowstone. So question is regarding basing self in WYS , I know you have to drive alot but I'm sure it's scenic but are you ever just sitting in a long line of cars just to get into the park?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,099 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes?

Gracie, you should probably start a new thread with your question. My answer is no...I haven't waited in line at the gate more than about 5-10 minutes. There are some who have posted that they have had long waits, though. I do usually get into the park by 6, 8 at the latest.

Pam

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
242 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes?

Just left YNP and didn't encounter too many mosquitos. I took the advice of a previous poster out of desperation and had the product you can pretreat your clothing with overnighted. We sprayed at least 4 outfits a piece before leaving on our trip and never had a bug issue. We have just arrived to GT from West Yellowstone so I can't speak for the bug issue going on there currently.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes?

I don't think I would change where I was staying. You are still going to visit the park, aren't you? You will be gone most of the day from your nightly lodging area. You will most likely be there only long enough to crash and sleep. So, in changing where you sleep doesn't really change the fact that there will still be mosquitos in various places. I wouldn't in my personal opinion give up Signal Mountain, and I would think twice about giving up Canyon.

Buy some spray, treat your clothes, and enjoy your lodging and the parks.)))

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes?

I'm glad to see that the clothing tx worked well - I posted my review under the othe mosquito question today.... worked well for us too, especially my toddler. Needless to say, we were still bitten a bit, but mostly in areas where we were exposed such as hands and feet, and where the deet wore off, or we didn't dare put it - ie close to toddlers eyes, and areas that are exposed when, say, you are headed to the great outdoors for your restroom.

I guess I'd be interested in what is a lot of mosquitos to some. I feel if you can see at any given time, 6-7, they are around, but I wouldn't call it horrible. That is the most I saw when partaking in a bbq next to a river in high grass. (You'd say we were asking for it - but our friends were camping here, we weren't - we just met up w/them).

Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...