We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

As of now, our July 2012 trip has us with 4 days for YNP and 2 days for GTNP. We are considering adding 2 days to our trip so that we experience this scenic drive.

Our current itinerary has us leaving from Canyon Village and driving back to Jackson and then flying out in the AM.

What if we change it and instead leave the Canyon area and exit out the N.E. Entrance and take the Beartooth Byway to Red Lodge for the night. Maybe then to Cody for a night before heading on to Jackson to spend the night before flying out?

Do you think that is too chopped up and we should choose either Red Lodge or Cody but not both?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,439 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

We had 4 days at YNP and 2 for the Tetons. No time to do the Beartooth. I regret that. If you can swing it, do it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

I agree. I would opt to stay in Cody and enjoy Buffalo Bill Museums and the rodeo. We love the Cody Cowboy Village- owners and staff are great!! The drive is on one of our great scenic roads and you will not be disappointed.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

I would actually leave Canyon and drive the Beartooth Hwy. to Red Lodge for lunch. Then on the return, take Chief Joseph Hwy down to Cody and spend both nights in Cody. You will arrive late in the day/afternoon. You can hit the rodeo if you wish. The next day you can explore the Buffalo Bill Museum, have an afternoon swim by the pool and follow it up with a great meal at The Rib and Chop House for dinner, yummy!

Even if you don't choose to go all the way to Cody, if you could add 2 more nights anywhere, do it!!

You will not regret your decision.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

Thanks for your replies. I think we might follow the advice of Red Lodge for lunch and then on to Cody for the night. Does anyone have a place to stay that they can recommend?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,439 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

depends on what you want to spend, but we really liked the Cody. VERY nice rooms, breakfast and can walk to the rodeo.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

Cody Cowboy Village

7. Re: Should we extend our trip to drive Beartooth/Chief Joseph?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 08:17