We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
160 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

We're planning a trip to Grand Teton National Park in August after spending several days in Yellowstone National Park. We're trying to decide where to stay within Grand Teton National Park and are considering Signal Mountain Lodge (a Country Room which I believe really is a cabin) or the Colter Bay Village cabins. We were originally leaning towards Signal Mountain because we would have 2 queen beds for our family of 4 but the kids like the idea of a pool which is available at Colter Bay Village. Any recommendations or comments regarding these choices?

CT
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

I tried to make reservations for mid July, 2006 at Signal Mountain on Feb. 27, 2006 for 2 rooms, and they were booked! Can't help with which is better, but I suggest you make a reservation now. I did get a cabin at Colter Bay.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

Taking the same trip as you are. I called Signal Mountain Lodge yesterday, (March 24) and was able to get a 2 room cabin for my family of 4 next August. I still need one more night there, but I grabbed what I could. I suggest you call back every 3 or 4 weeks, if you still want to stay at Signal Mountain Lodge. The majority of the reviews, both on this forum and others, are positive. Some complaints-but then what place doesn't? Good luck.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

I've also been researching lodging and have read up on Signal Mtn. and Colter Bay. The consensus seems to be that families with kids, particularly pre-teens will find Colter Bay more enjoyable (more things to do close by, etc.) and convenient. Signal Mtn. sounds like it appeals more to couples and families with older kids; those who want to be a bit removed from things and closer to nature. At least that's what I've been reading. And it does seem that Signal Mtn. books up pretty quickly.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

Forestvillain, yes-we are one of those couples with older daughters, who love hiking and wildlife and the vistas of the GTNP, rather than the activities younger kids might prefer. There you go.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

Forrest has hit the nail right on the head on this one. I worked at Colter bay for a while and it always had younger kids for the activites. And Signal while still a nice place had the older kids. Not sounding biased but I'd pick Colter Bay there are a lot of activities and choices to do. Now make sure in Colter bay that you are in the Cabins and not the tent cabins huge difference.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Colter Bay or Signal Mountain?

We didn't stay at either lodge, but did stop to visit both areas. Colter Bay is beautiful, and the kids will enjoy being at the water.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...