We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage in the Tetons

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Fall Foliage in the Tetons

I am visiting the park the last couple of days in September and the first week of October. I was curious if anybody in the area or who has recently been there could provide any updates regarding fall foliage? I know last year the peak colors were right around the time of my trip for this year, but I can't seem to find much current information. My understanding is that it's been very dry, but there has been alot of rain this past week. I don't know if that will affect things, but I'm concerned that the dry conditions will either delay peak colors past the time I'm there, or just make it generally a bad year for foliage colors. Regardless, I'll have a blast, but am really hoping for beautiful colors. Anybody have any input or links that provide current information about this? Thanks so much!

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

We saw a few aspens last week that were just barely beginning to turn.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

>could provide any updates regarding fall foliage?

Aspens are just beginning to turn color, but they tend to go fast.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

Thanks alot to both of you. TetonBill, are you saying then that it's likely that the aspens leaves will be gone by the time I arrive (September 30)? I sure hope not!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

>are you saying then that it's likely that the aspens leaves will be gone by the time I arrive (September 30)

Nope. I just meant that once the aspens start changing color, it seems that they finish changing pretty quickly. But once they're done, the colors stay around for several weeks. So 9/30 should be a pretty fair time to be here. There's nothing quite as pretty as an aspen grove in the early fall when the wind comes up and vibrates all those tiny leaves in the sunlight.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

That's great news, thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

Any more recent updates on the foliage situation? I can hardly wait to see the colors, hopefully all's still setting up for a spectacular show when we arrive next week!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

If its any help, we are at 7000 feet (our home) and the aspens are just starting on our lawn. The ones on the top of the pass (Teton Pass) 8450 ft are looking even better. It might not be the peak of their color, but hopefully just enough color for some nice pics.Perhaps hike or drive to some higher elevations if its nice pics you are looking for.

Edited: 25 September 2011, 04:35
Huntington, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

Any updates on foliage? We'll be there tomorrow for a week. Thanks.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

Beautiful right now.

Santa Clara...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fall Foliage in the Tetons

We're visiting this year between 18-23 September. Any input ?