We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Vacation

My family of 5 is planning a week's visit to this area in mid July. The kids are 7, 9 & 11, but are very hardy and up for just about anything in terms of adventure. Can you suggest a week's itinerary for us? We are not big campers, but would consider it for one night and would like to stay at a nice resort/lodge for the other nights. We are not committed to spending the entire week here, and would consider splitting the week between two locations if that makes sense, but we don't want to spend a bunch of time in the ca. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation

Are you looking at 7 days in the Teton and Yellowstone NP areas? You will need to stay near YS for that park and near Teton for that park. First look for lodging options inside YS NP. If you can't get lodging inside YS, then look at West Yellowstone. http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

Mid July is a busy time, so get your lodging first, then plan which park first. You will need 3 or 4 nights in Yellowstone and 2 or 3 nights in Tetons.

Colter Bay area in Tetons has camping tents, with partial walls, partial tent. gtlc.com/lodging/colter-bay-village-tents.as…

Level Contributor
201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation

I'll have my 11 year old with me and she is excited about white water rafting and the cowboy cookout out of Roosevelt lodge. She is fairly hardy, but is afraid of heights, so no climbing the Tetons for us. We'll do The Jenny lake boat ride and hike, all the geyser hikes and around and into the grand canyon of Yellowstone (I hope that won't be too scary for her).

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation

check into the Jr Ranger program for the kids. Can you give us a bit more info- dates- driving or flying- if flying airports and times- do you have your lodging set? Then we can get a bit more specific. One thing for the 11 year old. That is me (I am getting better) so really be careful which Canyon viewpoints you take her to. Some have bigger barriers (fences) and some just have rock ledges. The ledges really bother me- even seeing other people on them. You might consider letting her choose how far she wants to go, and someone waits with her while the others check out the "edges" . Make sure to hit the mudpots with the kids- great noises, lol. Uncle Toms Trail has a fence at the top she may be able to stand back from it- I think there are even benches there- but don't try to have her do the stairs. Brink of the falls has fences, but the trail down is a bit scary fear of heights wise.

Level Contributor
201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation

Wow, thanks for the insight into the height concerns Thbergs. That is information I'll bring with me, so I don't scare the child. I can't wait to get there...arrive in Jackson Hole this Saturday!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation

I made my husband watch the kids anywhere near any edges. I wouldn't let them anywhere close, so he had to decide and keep them safe :) I could enjoy the falls- looking out at them, but not down, from the farther viewpoints. A couple overlooks had views that I could see the canyon- looking out at it, not down. As I said, I have gotten much better, but still get that "rollercoaster" in my stomach, even when just watching others. Luckily, there are tons of other things to enjoy without that! Also, a couple of the drives can be a bit scary (lean to the left, lol) so a middle seat for those portions would help. At Old Faithful, walk the basin and check out Anemone Geyser- a favorite of my kids (and me)

Not sure about the height thing here- there may be seating far enough from the edge that she will be ok- if not, she can stay inside the lobby or go out side and look up at the others- but ice cream purchased on the first floor of Old Faithful Inn (Huckleberry) and taken out to the second floor deck is a nice treat. One thing that might help at overlooks- I find if I am taking the pictures, it makes me focus on the view, not how high the view is, if that makes any sense?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Vacation

Oh- do you have lodging, etc yet?

7. Re: Family Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:18