We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report part 2 - July 15 - 17th

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report part 2 - July 15 - 17th

I will keep it briefer than I did part I on the Yellowstone forum.

Day 6 - Sunday, July 15th. Started the day with a free buffet (if you don't include the huge room fee) at the Rustic Inn. Went over to Jenny Lake and took the boat across. Did the hike up to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. Both great spots. Heard good things about Cascade Canyon so we kept going for another 30 - 45 minutes and made it into the canyon area. On the way back we took the semi-circle around the other way and it was much less crowded, i.e. empty. It didn't bother me as much earlier when we saw large animal droppings. I have to admit I was more nervous seeing it on the trail when we were by ourselves. Went around North Jenny Lake and the headed up to Signal Mountain. On the way back down people saw a grizzly but we couldn't find anywhere to safely pull over.

On the way back to Jackson stopped at Dornan's and saw a couple Moose out and about. Had an early dinner at the Snake River Brewery. Casual but very good. My daughter wanted to head to the cancy store later. My wife mentioned that the Brewery was my candy store. Quite embarrassing when I saw a crowd looking out to the road and I asked them if it was a bear or something. Turned out a guy on a motorcycle hit a truck and was injured. Oops. Hope he was ok. Surprised to see that nobody out there wears a helmet except on a bicycle.

Took the 6:30 pm Barker Ewing Float Trip. It was great. Definitely not a white water trip but very relaxing and great scenery. Saw a few eagles including a couple "eaglets" and one clumsily trying to fly. The guide even seemed excited by this. Also saw a handful of beaver. They were a little to quick for my daughter to get on film. Quick trip back into town and ended the night at the hotel.

Grand Teton
Mountains, National Parks
Oxbow Bend Turnout, Grand Teton National Park
Mountains, National Parks, Bodies of Water
Teton Point Turnout
Jackson Lake Overlook
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report part 2 - July 15 - 17th

Day 7 - Monday, July 16th. The girls (wife and daughter) enjoy an active trip but even they cried uncle and asked for some relaxing time at the hotel today. I agreed, but that doesn't mean we can't get a few things in.

Started at the buffet and then over to Gros Ventre, Kelly, Mormon Row and Antelope Flats. Headed over to a beaver dam the guide told us about last night and saw a ton of artists there. Tried to go for a hike at Death Canyon but the road to get there was so ridiculous we decided to turn back. Headed over to Teton Village to scope it out for a winter return and ended up back in Town.

Gave them some hotel time which was very nice and tried take two at the shootout. On Friday it was about a minute long with the rain. Much better on Monday. Had dinner at Sweetwaters which was good and back to the hotel.

Day 8 - Tuesday, July 17th. Not much to say here. Had to get up at 4 and to the airport early for our plane back.........not happy.....

thanks again for all the great advice. This definitely wasn't a trip to do without some research.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,083 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report part 2 - July 15 - 17th

Thanks for the trip report!!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report part 2 - July 15 - 17th

Thanks! The TH to Death Canyon is a little sketchy isn't it. Rutted out...

Sorry you couldn't do that but glad that you enjoyed your time all the same.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report part 2 - July 15 - 17th

Now we wait for photos!!!!! ..................WHERE ARE THEY??? LOL just kidding, I will give you till tomorrow!! Sorry...I am axiously waiting my trip, I am very antsy!!!! thanks for a great report!

5. Re: Trip report part 2 - July 15 - 17th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 05:17