We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in GTNP

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
146 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in GTNP

Hey all ! I have 3 days in GTNP and am thinking of doing the following hiking. The Jenny lake trail area using the shuttle and figuring about a half-day here. Doing the Phelps Lake from death canyon trailhead as an out and back. Not going the whole way - maybe just to the lake and back out.

Then taking the ski-tram in Teton village to the top and doing some hiking up there .. Am I missing any must-do hikes while in GTNP?!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in GTNP

Those are all nice hikes. (Note that if you go to the lake by way of the Death Canyon Trail, you hike down 500' elevation in switchbacks to get from the overlook down to the lake - and then hike back up again.)

There are many other great hikes as well, but you've selected some good ones.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in GTNP

Thanks Bill! Are you familiar with hikes at top of Rendezvous Mtn accessed via the tram?? The Top O' the World trails sounds good . Any of the others a personal favorite (I'm looking at this site for a listing http://www.jacksonhole.com/summer/vacation-planning/hiking.html)? The trails here don't seem to be on my National geo map of GTNP, Seems this area is in the national forest

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in GTNP

You didn't say how long you want to make this hike. But you can hike from the top of RM down and out through either Granite, Open or Death Canyons, stopping by Marion Lake on the way. Any of those is a beautiful hike. But I'd suggest going out Granite Canyon; the other two are much longer and require a second car. But if you come out at Granite trail head, you can hike back to your car at Mountain Resort (or maybe get a ride with someone going that way).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in GTNP

Keep in mind to get to the death canyon trailhead you either have to walk a mile from a paved parking area or drive a pretty rough dirt road. Sign says 4wd recommended. We drove about a half mile in and parked there but there is very little room for parking. In fact we turned back when we saw a big flat bed tow truck carrying a van and we weren't sure if it would get by us.

5. Re: Hiking in GTNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 10:17