We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

Texas
Level Contributor
341 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

I've researched but cannot pin down exactly what section of the Snake the different companies take you on. Are they both the same? If not, then do you have any thoughts on which route is more scenic or otherwise preferred? I'm looking at either B-E or Signal Mtn Lodge.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

The most scenic float trips are through a 10-mile stretch of the Snake River lying inside GTNP, which provides good views of the Tetons as you float by. Other float trips are outside the park, starting near the town of Wilson.

Here are some outfitters that do float trips inside the park:

Barker-Ewing Scenic Tours: www.barkerewing.com

To avoid confusion, note that Barker and Ewing split their company in the mid 1980s. Now one company - (800) 365-1800 - does the in-park float trips (I think that's the part that Barker took), and the other company - (800) 448-4202 - does out-of-park float trips with a meal and also offers whitewater trips (I think that's the part that Ewing took). The two are on good terms and refer bookings back and forth.

Flagg Ranch Resort: www.flaggranch.com

Grand Teton Lodge Company: www.gtlc.com

Heart 6 Float Trips: www.heartsix.com

Signal Mountain Lodge: www.signalmtnlodge.com

Snake River Angler: www.snakeriverangler.com

Solitude Float Trips (offers both in-park and south-of-park trips): www.solitudefloattrips.com

Triangle X / National Park Float Trips: www.trianglex.com

Lost Creek Ranch: http://lostcreekadventure.com

Mentioned in this post
Signal Mountain Lodge
Signal Mountain Lodge
976 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Triangle X Ranch
Triangle X Ranch
112 Reviews
Moose, WY
Lost Creek Ranch & Spa
Lost Creek Ranch & Spa
97 Reviews
Moose, WY
Grand Teton Lodge Company
93 Reviews
Solitude Float Trips
Solitude Float Trips
729 Reviews
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,576 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

We've used Barker Ewing for scenic float trips and highly recommend them- very professional and knowledgeable.

Texas
Level Contributor
341 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

As usual you have come up with the perfect information, exactly what I needed to know. Thanks Bill!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

Just returned from Jackson 2 weeks ago. We highly recommend Barker-Ewing - the one that does only float trips within GTNP. We took the 4:00 p.m. trip,but if I had it to do over, I'd take the early a.m. trip for better wildlife viewing. My companions outvoted me on this issue... Still, we saw the cutest baby black bear eating berries on the bank, and a Pronghorn, eagles, etc. Afterwards, we viewed the big bull moose who likes to hang out on a little island under the bridge near Dornan's and the end of the float trip.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

We just got back and used the Grand Teton Lodge Company for our float trip. We stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge and they were convenient. Our guide, Mike, was extremely knowledgeable (I can honestly say that there was not one question that he did not know the answer to on our trip) and the trip itself very pleasant.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
2,040 Reviews
93 Reviews
6. Re: Which Snake River Float Trip Company to use?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 07:16