We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoke from forest fires

A M
Pensacola, Florida
11 posts
Save Topic
Smoke from forest fires

We are planning to be in GTNP next week and saw a post in the Yellowstone forum that the smoke was very thick in Wyoming and did not recommend people to come at this time. Any advise from someone in the area would be great. Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoke from forest fires

If you read the entire thread and all responses, I believe there were several who suggested still making the trip. There was also a recent report from the weekend that there was a good soaking rain that knocked a lot of the smoke down.

Whatever the conditions today, it could change tomorrow . . . for the good or the bad. My opinion is that you need to either make the commitment to your trip and go . . . or cancel now if you have accommodations and other arrangements to deal with.

Oak Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoke from forest fires

We were in the same situation two weeks ago and decided to go. Several days before our arrival, the Tetons were obscured by smoke. The day we arrived, a morning rain cleared the area, and we saw them in all their glory. Hope you have the same luck.

A M
Pensacola, Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoke from forest fires

Thanks for the advise. We are flying into Salt Lake City and heading to Zion and Bryce first and then we will take it from there. We are tent camping so we don't have to worry about reservations. At this point we are still planning on The Tetons and Yellowstone, but if the smoke is bad we can always change things up. Does anyone have suggestions on a scenic route from Bryce to GTNP?

Thanks!

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoke from forest fires

I am going to post a full trip report when I return next week, but I wanted to give encouragement to those who still may come to the Grant Tetons area this weekend. I have been following TripAdvisor for over a year reading and reading and soaking it all in. I was in a panic last week reading all the stories about smoke...today, it was overcast and drizzly. I'm not sure how much smoke vs haze/clouds may have affected my photos, but here is a link to the album I posted on FB tonight. It is still gorgeous here even if it is overcast or smoky! Tomorrow and Saturday's forecasts are mostly sunny!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

A M
Pensacola, Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoke from forest fires

Thank you so much for posting a link to your album. At this point we are heading that way. I can't wait, especially after seeing your pics.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoke from forest fires

Thanks for sharing your photos Lharris. (P.S. I believe the photos near the end are of elk . . . females + young.)

P.S. Have a great rest of your trip! Cannot wait for your full trip report.

Edited: 07 September 2012, 03:27
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoke from forest fires

The smoke is bad today. No visibility whatsoever on the mountains. We are super bummed but the forecase says it may clear sat night.

A M
Pensacola, Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoke from forest fires

I'm so sorry to hear that. We arrived in the Tetons a few days ago and the smoke was super bad. We made a quick decision and headed up to Glacier National Park and I am so happy we did. We had 3 beautiful day in probably the most amazing park I have ever been to. We left today as the smoke was making it's way in. It's such a shame, but I think the entire west in suffering from the fires.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoke from forest fires

I'm so glad you got to visit my favorite place in the whole wide USA!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoke from forest fires

Here in Jackson lake area today and can not see the Tetons due to the smoke :(.